Tying a fly on

smallie

smallie

My eyes are not the greatest. I was wondering if there was a way to make it easier. I was looking at the magnet thing. When you match the hatch, how long do you fish that fly? Do you try different patterns? Do you change dry flies just to have drier one? Thanks

smallie wrote:
My eyes are not the greatest. I was wondering if there was a way to make it easier. I was looking at the magnet thing.

I got one with loose cabela's bucks once. Wasn't impressed, but I hopefully have a number of years before I have issues tying knots. You might find it useful, given your situation.

When you match the hatch, how long do you fish that fly? Do you try different patterns?

You're going to get a hundred different answers on this one, and imo, you should. It's entirely dependent on situation and personal preference, but I would say that you will be changing flies on average once or twice an hour when fishing a hatch. I just made that number up, so your mileage may vary.

Do you change dry flies just to have drier one? Thanks

Yep. Sometimes I do.

I'm with Jay. I change, but only when I can. If it's dark out then you do what you can. If the action is hot and they're still taking it then hang in there, but if you see refusals then change it up.

Try some magnifiers. They have some you can attach to the bill of your hat, others to your hand, etc. That may help in finding the eye of the hook for you. Or... try lasic lol.

During a hatch? I'll swap it around til I find th eone that works, then its got Mojo and shall not be touched until it snaps off. Then there will be anger, for no matter how much a clone I may have, it is not The Magic Fly. I will procede to begin frustration, swapping flies every 10 minutes or 2 casts, whichever happens first, until I either go home in tears or I find another Magic Fly.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

But, if I've got one that works, it stays on. If it becomes destroyed to the point where it no longer works, I will clip it off for one near 'nuff to it. Often times, I'll just squeeze the gunk out iwth my shirt, dump cold cream on it to float it, and then re-cast.

On tying: I know many people who swear by those hook threaders that come with C&F boxes. THey are also available sold seperatly.

yeah-thats when you realize its time for bifocals or trifocals-dusk and a size 18.

Children. THey can be useful!

Hi Smallie - Get yourself one of these. You can also use the circuit test clips like these, but they're not as durable.

Makes tying on a fly MUCH easier, and you won't drop them as well. You still have to thread the tippet through the eye of the hook, but it's easier when you have something to hold on to. Once it is threaded, just twist the tool, and pass the tippet through the loop you made. It's an old fart trick from way back. Read the reviews on the Ty-Rite, and you'll see what I mean...

H.A.

Back