Two flies

B

Boomer

what is the best way to tie a dry fly on as an indicator when nymphing? A friend of mine showed me by tying a tippet on and leaving the tag end but I for the life of me cannot remember how he did it. also if there is another way to skin this cat please feel free to share. Thanks for the help in advance guys.

I use to tie a piece of tippet to the eye of the dry then tied thee dropper to that. Then the impossible knots started. I asked a similar question on here and i got pointed in the direction of tying a piece of tippet to the bend of the dry flies hook. There have been many less tangles, and if there are any they are manageable.

Hi, I tie the dry on to the tippet, then a 18" piece of tippet to the hook of the dry. Then the nymph to the tag end of the 12" tippet. There are probably different way, But that's the one taught to me.

Boomer wrote:
what is the best way to tie a dry fly on as an indicator when nymphing? A friend of mine showed me by tying a tippet on and leaving the tag end but I for the life of me cannot remember how he did it. also if there is another way to skin this cat please feel free to share. Thanks for the help in advance guys.

There are a lot of ways to tie a dropper from a dry....tied on the bend, from the eye and on a dropper.

The easiest and best way I've found, is to simply tie the dry on with your usual clinch knot, but leave a long tag end (12" or 18" or longer) and tie your nymph right on the end of the tag. No extra knots to tie, and the dropper line runs 90* from the dry.

See below:

Attachments

• Dry-Dropper Rig.jpg
    Dry-Dropper Rig.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 6
http://youtu.be/VyZvx4ywc3I
Here's a good short video on the subject.
+1 Hunter1

great video and thank for all the input from everyone. The only other question I have is what dry fly would be good for the winter time?

Boomer wrote:
great video and thank for all the input from everyone. The only other question I have is what dry fly would be good for the winter time?

This time of year you would probably be better off using an indicator rather than a dry-dropper rig. Chances are you will not be casting to rising fish, so using a dry fly doesn't make a lot of sense. The dry-dropper rig works best in shallow water and when fish are likely to rise to your dry fly.

This time of year fishing deep is important. The advantage to using a regular indicator like a thingamabobber, for example, is that it allows you to move it up and down to adjust for depth. Also an indicator will float with a heavier fly and/or split shot on your rig to get you down to the fish.

Little Black Stoneflys, Klinkhammers, BWO catskill and emegers with snowshoe, Adams, and some larger griffiths Gnats are some winter dries that I use.

"This time of year fishing deep is important. The advantage to using a regular indicator like a thingamabobber, for example, is that it allows you to move it up and down to adjust for depth. Also an indicator will float with a heavier fly and/or split shot on your rig to get you down to the fish."
Agree,medium/ larger water especially

There is no absolute correct way.

1. Tie tippet onto the bend of the hook of the dry.
2. Tie tippet onto the eye of the hook of the dry.
3. Up the tippet, if you have a blood knot, leave a long tag end. Tie dry to the tag end, use nymph as the "point". Make sure the tag is the thicker of the two lines.
4. If you have two tippet knots up the tippet, just clinch knot the dropper tippet in between them, so that the knots act as "stoppers" to keep the dropper from sliding too far.

Personally, with a dry-dropper set up, I use #2. However, as was stated, if my primary purpose is nymphing I don't use a dry as an indicator. I either tight line or use a strike indicator. That doesn't mean I don't use two flies, I often have 2 nymphs on. In those cases I generally use #3.

If you are going to use a dry-dropper, generally the requirement for the dry is that it floats well and is visible. As such, your typical brookie flies work well. Wulff's, Humpies, Elk Hair Caddis, stimulators, etc. Even a little foam or cork in the body helps.

Thanks again guys. I am new to this forum and I love it! lol

It is difficult to describe a lazy cast....however it does at times put a knot in the line going to the nymph. If and when this happens it is best to take the time to remove it by either shortening the length to above the knot or replacing the whole length.

Weird thing I have noticed over the years...

If I tie the second fly to the hook bend of the first fly I catch most of my fish on the second fly.

However, if I tie the second fly to the eye of the first fly (whether tag end of the tippet, or an whole mother piece of tippet added) my hook up is 50/50; if not more in favor of the first fly.

This goes for both dry/dropper and/or 2 nymphs.

I believe that if a fish tried to bite the first fly in scenario 1 the tippet pushes the fly out of the fish's mouth. Where in the second scenario, the fish has easy access to the hook of the first fly.

#6 yellow Humpy for the indicator - JK tough to beat a 14 Tan Elk Hair Caddis with some orange yarn in the wing. Sometimes works on general principle when nothing is happening on top. Hang a Sawyer style #18 Pheasant tail on 18 inches of 6X tippet tied to the EHC hook bend

I tie my dry to the tippet end and then take about 12-18 inches of tippet and tie it onto the hook of the dry fly. Then I just tie my dropper to that tippet end. Always works for me.

Back