Twistons

S

Skook

Anyone use "Twistons" lead weight strips that come in a package that looks like a book of matches?

Is there any advantage to using these over split shot or tungsten putty in certain situations?

They've been around forever, so someone must be using them.

Thanks.

I’ve never used them fishing but I do use them for tying. They can be shaped using scissors and make great wide bodies and added weight for nymphs that call for that profile.

I use it all the time,split shot being round tends to get stuck in rocks.The twist ons usally comes unstuck easier.

I use it all the time,split shot being round tends to get stuck in rocks.The twist ons usally comes unstuck easier.
Does it stay put on the leader after casting it for awhile?

Depends on how violently you cast.... Generally, it holds as well as split shot, especially if you clamp it down a wee bit on both ends with forceps or pliers. The only other thing I'd say about it is that I usually do not use it on lighter tippets because even though it is soft lead, it can still have a bit of a sharp edge on it. 4X is
about as thin as I'll go..

Take the twiston and wrap 1/2 of it around your leader then wrap leader around twiston a couple times then finish wrapping twiston.This works for me,I also use Trilene XL 4lb low vis green,same diameter as 5X and really is low vis under the water.

Back