turkey wincases on stoneflies

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

These are getting on my nerves. I typically don't use turkey for these, but saw a few patterns I like that us it. What is the trick to keep them from separating. How wide of a section do you use.

Thanks for any advise. I am a big fan of thin skin, and fino skin on my stones but like to have some more natural material stones as well.

Take head cement, or other glue, and glue the barbs together before you need them. Glue the underside. The amount of barbs you use depend on the size of the body.

It would be easier to glue the barbs on the feather before you cut them off, therefore you don't unhook the barbules.

Mike, I use turkey tail feathers on my stones and other nymphs. Have for many years. The trick is to spray the back of the feather with either clear laquer or some type of poly. I usually use something with a matt finish. If you want a shine to it spray the front and use a semi gloss or even a gloss. I just prefer it to be flat. Just spray it let dry. When tying I just use the point of my tying sissors to separate the fibers into the desired width.

GenCon

A can of Fixament from the craft store does a pretty good job. It will last you a long time as well

Thanks guys. This helps immensely. I was looking at patterns and thinking what the heck are these guys doing to keep their feather strands together. This should really make things go smoother.

All the above work but you can also use swiss straw if need be

thin coat of uv resin

i use tyvek paper for wing cases

tyvek with permanent markers? good idea.

nfrechet wrote:
thin coat of uv resin

i use tyvek paper for wing cases

so do i, its really easy to work with and you can make them any color that you want

GenCon wrote:
Mike, I use turkey tail feathers on my stones and other nymphs. Have for many years. The trick is to spray the back of the feather with either clear laquer or some type of poly. I usually use something with a matt finish. If you want a shine to it spray the front and use a semi gloss or even a gloss. I just prefer it to be flat. Just spray it let dry. When tying I just use the point of my tying sissors to separate the fibers into the desired width.

GenCon
^^ This ^^

I've used Flexament Vinyl Cement, but prefer using Krylon Clear Acrylic on the back of the feather. Once I've set the wingcase, I like to coat it with Hard As Nails.

All good solutions posted above. I use home made fleximent (40% shoe goo, 60% toluene) and really like it for coating turkey shell backs. It dries quickly and can be used for a lot of other things when tying. Its another option.
Mike.

coated or uncoated eventually the turkey wing case will split and possibly break off. the fish wont care

coating is more for the fisherman than the fish ;-) :)

This is very true, the problem is if I put it in my box and don't like it. It won't get used, but that's my problem. Stopped doing that years ago.

Thompson wing former (cannot buy anymore)
step 1---place feather in wing former
step 2----draw comb through feather
step 3----Apply krylon fixative to back side of feather, let dry
step 4--- You are now ready to use wing cases.

Also works on pairs for dry flies...

Attachments

• DSCF9940.JPG
    DSCF9940.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF9943.JPG
    DSCF9943.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF9944.JPG
    DSCF9944.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF9945.JPG
    DSCF9945.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF9946.JPG
    DSCF9946.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF9947.JPG
    DSCF9947.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 3
I think I seen a set of those wing makers on e-bay recently.

thanks for taking the time to post the pictures on the Thompson and such. All great stuff

Or Dave's Fleximent applied to the back of the feather.

tyvec

salmonfly.jpg

blackstonefly.jpg

Back