tung head stonefly

D

dubthethorax

been working on a pattern that will get down FAST for steelhead. This guy has a tung head, a full lead underbody, and two types of UTC wire for the body. It's a size 10.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• tung-stone.jpg
    tung-stone.jpg
    562.6 KB · Views: 11
top view. Epoxy was still wet when I took the pic so it looks all slimey

Attachments

• tung-stone-top.jpg
    tung-stone-top.jpg
    630.1 KB · Views: 4
dubthethorax wrote:
Thoughts?

Ya keep tying them until you get good. Then send me all the practice flies for proper disposal. I promise I won't fish them.

Seriously, nice flies and should easily accomplish getting down deep quickly.

Very nice tie that thing should dop down fast .

Very nicely done.
I wouldn't go any larger on the bead. While there are certain flies I like tied extremely heavy, generally my preferance with nymphs is to use split shot to get 'em right on the bottom. I do have a very heavy stonefly I like but when you start making nymphs extremely heavy, you run a greater risk of losing them on snags. You might try a small dumbell eye rather than bead. This will cause the the fly to drift in a hook upward position but still get right on the bottom.

Now that's what I call an ANCHOR fly!!!

I tie some similar flies to get my rig down in deep/fast water. I use a heavy scud (curved shank) hook like a TMC 2457 or equivalent. The curved hook with a bead and lead wraps flip upside down (point up) since the weight is off the center-line of the hook. The fly snags much less often drifting point up as Fishidiot posted. Nice fly! Good luck.

Nice job.

very nice fly. A more sophisticated and real version of a "hot wire" prince. I'll have to tie some up myself.
As someone else wrote, I wouldn't go any larger on the bead.

This may seem like a strange question.
Has anyone ever tied a SF nymph with three beads in place of wing pads? May be tying some coarse dubbing between the beads.
The top would look right, but I the guess not the bottom.

barr's Tungstone is a good one as well

thanks for the comments/feedback. appreciate it.

well, I came down with pneumonia so I wont be heading to SRNY tomorrow. it will give me a few more weeks to tweak this pattern. I'll post some updated versions when I get time.

tie it with double tung beads...should sink like...well like tungsten...ha..

Back