Tully

B

Bruce-W

What is hatching on the tully below the dam ( 8/9/23 ). I see them in the morning . Old eyes and slow hands as i cant seem to catch one to get some for of an ID. They are on the small side. I'm thinking Trico or maybe a caddis of some sort. Thanks for any input. Bruce

The Tricos are swarming in the mornings. I caught a couple last week in Poachers Hole on Trico spinners. Temp was at 65 pretty early, I released ‘em quick and hung it up. I was really looking for carp when I noticed the trout working some spinners that were actually hitting the surface pretty early that morning.

I was looking at the Tully stream gage info and noticed on 8/22 at 1:30 PM it shows the flow down to 5.21 CFS. ???????? The value does show in the data. The flow came right back up to 114 cfs by 3 PM but why would they take it so low? Sounds like someone screwed up then realized their mistake. ???????

I've seen this happen before. I was told they do this when cleaning the gates of debris.

I met the USGS maintenance crew about three weeks ago. They said that they've been re-calibrating the gauge every two weeks because the algae in the stream is messing with the flow measurements.
They have to do it so often because if the flow out of the dam is allowed to fall below some level (I think they said 50cfs) the Army Corps of Engineers can be fined. If that happens, USGS could be called to prove that their equipment was accurate.

Back