Tully

CathyG

CathyG

I plan my first trip to the Tully tomorrow, probably the DHALO section or below.
The flow seems high right now. At one point is it too high to fish safely? I'm not comfortable with high, fast flows

Anything above 300 is getting high. The level is over 500 right now, too high to easily fish. Sorry.

Thank you for the information.

I wanted to take advantage of having tonight off work but the local streams, especially the Lackawanna, are blown out.

I went there late yesterday afternoon when I saw that they had dropped the flow to around 270 cfs and the fishing was great for an hour or two. Around 6:00 pm the flow was bumped up to around 700 cfs, and when I started seeing broken tree branches coming down the stream, and the water start to get cloudy, and I was wading about waist deep, I got the heck out. There were still a few fish rising though, but nothing like earlier when the flow was lower.

Looks like the flow is up to 700 cfs now. I think I’d stay home — that’s what I’m doing.

Cathy,
Doesn't look good. Use this link to see weekend releases for the tailwaters

http://www.nap-wc.usace.army.mil/nap/resreg.htm

Cathy, don't do it. 500 cfs is not fishable. PM me if you want to fish together next week.

Cathy, got your pm, did you get mine?

They dropped the flows on Thursday so that the fish commission could stock section 6, the stretch from the dam to Reber's bridge. There is about 600 cfs coming into Blue Marsh right now. The ACOE will maintain the lake elevation at summer pool. 290 feet. Therefore they will be releasing about 600 cfs until the inflow goes down. They are matching outflow with the inflow. 600 cfs is way to high to fish for someone who is unfamiliar with the Tully.

Lestrout, Ben from TCO fly shop, the president of the Tulpehocken Chapter of TU, and I float stocked the Tully on Wednesday.

You are correct. It was Wednesday, April 15 when they dropped the flows so that you guys could float stock section 6. Thank you for helping. At 0700 the flow was 1480 cfs, at 1230 it was 125 cfs and by 1600 it was back up to 316 cfs. I am unable to help with stocking at the present time. But did help from the early 1980s when we first started float stocking the fingerlings until about 2010.
FCP

Its at 350 right now, i'm a decent wader, thinking about giving it a shot this afternoon....

I didn't get to the Tully but went for the ride anyway (I drive about 2400 miles a week anyway, what's few more).

I checked out TCO fly shop for the first time. They have a really good selection of all the essentials. I had great conversations with Ben. Terrific guy.

I got to meet Outsider and his wife, very nice couple. And Outsider gifted me with a box of flies he tied that are going to be perfect for the Tully when I finally get to fish it.

Last night when I saw the flow dropped to 345, I decided to fish today. I know safe havens for me to wade, and I live 15 minutes away. So why not fish. The caddis hatch was almost non-existent. I had a dry fly on from my last trip, and I fished blindly for a while. Zero fish. Then I went sub-surface and started catching fish. Among the fish I caught: a newly stocked bow that was 16"+, but that fish was the skinniest 16" fish I ever stocked. I tied into 2 holdovers. They were mad-crazy fighters. The first one about 16" and the second one a solid 20". Turned out to be a pretty decent morning's fishing.

I never went, glad you tore em up outsider

Back