Tully temps

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
The increased flow at the dam has raised temps on the Tully to over 70* F. Likely the cool water pool at the dam is depleted and the high water temps will hold for the remainder of the summer, or until weather cools significantly for an extended period.

Attachments

• Tully Temps.jpg
    Tully Temps.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 9
Break out the tricos and 7x!

The lake typically runs out of cold water between July 22 and Aug 2. The tally of 15 minute periods when the water temp is over 68 deg that are determinant of temperature-related trout mortality is really going to grow in a hurry now.

Looks like she's toast until late September / early October. With that said, there will be host of C&R going on with 9x.... which is a shame

Throw back the little ones
And pan-fry the big ones
Use tact, poise and reason
And gently squeeze them

Fox,
Water on this thread is very shallow. You'll have to troll elsewhere. Lol

Question for someone who has never fished the tully..... Since the general consensus is that some trout holdover or "survive" at the mouth of the cacoosing or cold water seeps, why is there natural reproduction?

Was talking to a neighbor and was telling me he was just on blue marsh catfishing and was disgusted on how no fish or wildlife was present and how much pollution was on the water. I've seen it myself. Rumor is blue marsh is made up of %100 motor oil LOL. But it is sad I don't know how the fish are doing well in the Tully.

foxtrapper1972 wrote:
Throw back the little ones
And pan-fry the big ones
Use tact, poise and reason
And gently squeeze them

is that little ditty about trout or girls ?

Done like a matador I pray for the weekend
And hope the little girls still throw roses
Else I'll change my bait
And move upstate
Before the season closes

Nope..not yet! The flow has been kept pretty low for quite a while. I guess there is still a small pool of cooler water remaining below the dam.

Attachments

• Tully Temps 2.jpg
    Tully Temps 2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 6
Good to know. I was looking to fish it this week sometime, and I saw the temp went up, but I didn't see it go down again. Maybe I'll make my trip after all!

how does a 7/8 deg drop in temp that fast impact the trout? Isn't a fast drop like that what killed all the fish on the susky in York county. When brunners island warm water discharge malfunctioned. I think that was 13 deg differance?

Afish is correct. The warmer temps from 7/29 to 8/1 occurred when the ACOE could no longer meet the 8AM temps objective of 68 F if near-surface waters were mixed with bottom waters. They then shifted the discharge from a mixed discharge to a full bottom discharge, resulting in the drop in temp on 8/1.

Under normal very late spring and summer flow conditions when mixing or a full bottom release are required, the water released from the dam takes about an hour to reach the USGS gauge according to the ACOE. They should know; they manipulate the flows and temps and monitor the response at the gauge.

Back