Tully and Quitty Grants Available

JackM

JackM

Staff member
This just appeared this week on the PFBC web site:

Harrisburg, PA - The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC) has announced that $113,900 is available through a grant program for stream restoration, habitat enhancement, and recreational enhancement activities on streams located in the Tulpehocken Creek and Quittapahilla Creek watersheds.
The Tulpehocken Creek watershed encompasses 219 square miles in Lebanon and Berks counties and includes Blue Marsh Reservoir. The Quittapahilla Creek watershed covers 77 square miles in Lebanon County.

Applications must be received by the PFBC no later than Oct. 15, 2008. Only project proposals located within these two watersheds will be considered. Grants will be awarded at the end of the year.

The grants can be used for stand-alone projects or to supplement other funding for larger projects that are designed to improve aquatic habitat, water quality, or recreational use. Examples of acceptable activities include fishery habitat restoration or enhancement; fish stocking; fishing access; maintenance or creation of facilities to encourage, improve or expand recreational use of the fishery; or studies related to these issues.

This funding is available through a 1998 settlement agreement between the PFBC and AES Ironwood, L.L.C. related to the operation of an electric generation facility located in South Lebanon Township, Lebanon County. AES Ironwood agreed to provide a contribution to the watersheds from which they are withdrawing water to assist with power production. The program will continue on a regular basis throughout the life of the AES Ironwood Power Plant.

For more information about applying for this grant program, contact the PFBC at 814-359-5147 or download an application on the agency’s web site at www.fishandboat.com.

Those are annual grants that the local watershed associations and TU chapters generally plan for.

I thought they were looking for people interested in applying for the grants. I didn't realize they were already "spoken for." So nobody else should apply?

Oh anyone in the area should apply. But the grants are "recurring" owing to a project (I forget what it is, or how long it will go on). The money can be used only for the Quitty or the Tully. So, there are only a few players, at least that I know of. Anyone that feels they have a stake should apply though.

They ought to use at least some of that money to blow out that dam on the Tully where the cacoosing comes in at the papermill, it would help the stream temps for sure I think

All you need is a plan and permission from the landowner and you could oversee the project if they approve your grant-- go for it.

Timmyt,

Not quite sure where this stream is you are referring to, but I believe the projects can cover the headwaters of the Tully down to and including the resevoir. Below that is not covered. Anyway, if you follow the link in Jack's original post, you'll see there is a phone # to call if you have questions.

Back