Trying with the Fly Rod for the first time this year

• Thread starter melvinthefisherman
  • Start date
M

melvinthefisherman

So last weekend I fished pennypack creek and was able to pull some trout. However this was with a small gold spinner, I missed a lot of fish so I know they are there but I was going to ask what flies I would use and how I would get them. The first hole is a tree along the bank with a deep undercurrent maybe 3 feet deep, although a spinner was able to get down there how would I approach it with a fly. I was thinking possibly a wooly bugger or a heavy nymph.

The next area I caught trout in was in a deeper slow rocky pool. How would I get the fish in this area? Maybe a streamer or wooly bugger.

Above that is deep fast rapid which I don't even know if I can fish with a fly. Above that is some fast shallow water where there is some good pocket water that I pulled fish out of. I'm assuming I would use a nymph.

Hoping you guys can help me out. To those who don't know pennypack does not have the best insect life. The creek is about 20-30 feet wide.

melvinthefisherman wrote:
I was thinking possibly a wooly bugger or a heavy nymph.

That's what I do.
Wooly bugger in olive and blk, sizes 8 - 10.
Pheasant tail nymph and hare's ear, sizes 12 and 14.

What RC said.... also beetles and ants... midges (think Al's Rat and Zebras).

Copperjohns are also a good choice - usually with red wire.

I was down there just the otherday off of krewstown and lost 5 of the 7 trout on a homemade nymph. I know the ratio is poor. so I need to redesign my nymph.

I use a dry fly as an indicator with a 3 to 3 1/2 foot dropper (nymph) and as soon as the dry fly goes under I set the hook.

pennypack,

i have a question about that dry dropper setup..im assuming you use a split shot with it to get your nymph to the bottom. if i am correct in saying that, wouldn't that pull the dry fly under as well?

real interested in trying that set up just not sure how to go about it.
thanks!

I use a dry fly as an indicator (normally white in color) with a size 12-16 nymph. No additional weight needed. the cool thing about the dryfly is that it makes less noise entering the water than an indicator, and fish will strike it as well. Once or twice I have had doubles and that is a real treat.
The dropper is normally attached to the bend right before the barb on the hook with 2lb test line.

Back