True Temper 1505A

djs12354

djs12354

My brother found this rod in the basement of his house. It's a True Temper, 8' 1505A. Can't make out what weight it is, but by feel, I'm guessing 4, maybe 3. It's very "whippy".

Anyone have any information about these rods. Seems like they were a cheaper rod?

Thanks for any help.

it's fiberglass, so it's gonna be lots more flexible than modern graphite rods. I have 4 or 5 true tempers, all are 8 footers, none are lighter than 7wts, I usually use 8 wts on them.
when these rods were made, 4 wts were VERY rare, and usually short, 6'6"- 7'. I don't think 3 wts even existed yet.
they are my "go to" steelhead rods, lots of fun when ya hook into one!
best advice I can give, take it out and cast it with a bunch of different lines, I'd start with a 6 and go up from there. remember, it's glass, it's gonna be slow, you have to adjust your casting stroke to fit the rod.
value if your interested, well, not much, I haven't paid more than 15 bucks for any of mine. I gonna rework one of them, strip it down and add some guides to see how it affects the performance.

Biker,

Thanks for the information. We didn't expect that the rod was worth $ and my evaluation of the weight was based on a newbie's feel comparison to a graphite 5 weight.

I have a 5 weight line laying around, so we will start from that point and see what happens.

There's at least one stripping guide that needs to be replaced and a good general cleaning of the rod. But it seems to be "fishable" and should provide some fun!

Thanks again!

Checkout this site for general info on fiberglass rods, both the older ones and also the newer ones.

http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/index.php?sid=d53d14fad8e723b3a78e18f079c3ca30

Back