Trout Water: A Year on the Au Sable by Josh Greenberg

R

rrt

"Trout Water" is a nice read. Greenberg sets up the book is a loose journal form, from winter to late fall but is not a day-by-day account of his fishing on Michigan's Au Sable. Instead, he includes stories about his fishing adventures with friends and family (two young boys and his wife). His stories show a deep love for fly-fishing. I particularly enjoyed his stories about night fishing during Michigan's Hex hatch. Another was his tale of helping his older son land a big trout when he (Josh Greenberg) had a sore back from spasms and had to carry both sons through the river to help land the trout.

Though Greenberg owns and operates the Gates Fishing Lodge and works as a guide, he does not spend much time writing about the lodge, fly shop business, or guiding. (Some fellows who frequent this site who own shops and who guide might be a little disappointed by this.)

The book subtly examines the aging process through his friend Terry Warrington's aging.

A quote that will stick with me is that he notes "how hard it is to watch the mistakes of youth, and yet, you know, how fun it was to live those mistakes as a youth." Greenberg writes this at age 40. I can only imagine what he'll say when he's my age (71).

I rate "Trout Water" with a 4.5, and I would rate it even higher if it weren't for several egregious grammar errors that most readers will not notice. This is a book I will re-read, and I recommend it highly to enthusiastic readers.

Ausable, yes i know 2. The one i like is in Wilmington N.Y. Never been to the other.

Fran Betters, and Jan! Hope you both know, i can not forget. Fran gone and i think Jan in Florida. How about that Bunkhouse Lodge. Felt like Mexico with that big statue on front yard.

I am not getting close to this name. Gary Yurmanic, Gary knows. If you are alive and see this. Remember when? I bet you do!

Wilmington N. Y. Adirondack Fly Shop! If i remember, a civil war figure, had a farm around that area. A famous man. Long Beard and sons killed and i believe he was hanged!

Yes, i am sure. Can you guess the man!

Maxima12

Answer, Lake Placid, John Brown!

Maxima12

If this was not in the book, the book is lonesome!

Back