Trout Unlimited Action Alert

Kevin82

Kevin82

I received this e-mail today, I thought Id pass it along for others to consider reading, Ill put a link at the bottom where you can write to our congressmen.

TROUT UNLIMITED ACTION ALERT

Dear TU Colleagues:

We need your help ensuring that Pennsylvania's Department of Environmental Protection has the tools and resources it needs to protect our streams and rivers. Legislation under consideration in Harrisburg threatens to weaken the DEP and jeopardize our natural resources.

Gov. Tom Wolf and PA's General Assembly are debating how to balance the state budget. Late last month, the Senate approved a new tax on natural gas drillers.

In exchange, Pennsylvania would see weakened oversight of the industry, and this is bad news. We rely on the DEP to protect against the impacts of shale gas drilling and pipeline construction on healthy trout streams.

Under the bill, DEP would be required to approve or deny permits for natural gas wells, water impoundments, access roads, and pipelines within unrealistically short timeframes. If those deadlines pass, the permits would be approved -- automatically, whether they are sound or not. In addition, some permits would be reviewed not by the DEP but by private consultants.

We need to contact the governor and our state legislators now and tell them not to undermine the DEP and put our streams at risk.

If you'd like to learn more, please reach out to David Kinney, TU's Mid-Atlantic Policy Director, at dkinney@tu.org.

Sincerely,

Charlie Charlesworth, PATU council president

David Kinney, TU Mid-Atlantic Policy Director

http://cts.vresp.com/c/?9PAPennsylvania/d3db4a9763/13a8bc1116/4b4d0b7d9e/vvsrc=%2fcampaigns%2f53954%2frespond
Visit standup.tu.org to email Gov. Tom Wolf and your state legislators and tell them not to put our streams at risk.
Spread the word.

I got the same Email. It doesn't expand on "unrealistically short time frames". Per who? How long? Why not? What time frame would be realistic?

Before I act I'd like to understand why TU is taking this stance. What time frame they feel is acceptable.

I agree with Franklin. What is the unjust timeframe? The private consultants should be professionally licensed by the State. If they are careless or negligent they would lose their license and could be held liable (in some cases they have more to risk than the State!)

Back