Trout Streamers

M

mattmask

Anyone use any good streamers on trout other than a wooly bugger. If so please try to post the recipes for me. Thanks.
:)

Black Ghost, Micky Finn and Muddler Minnow. All found in fly tying books or on the web. However, the black ghost I tie with Marabou.

mattmask,

I started fishing Clouser minnows this year and did rather well. Try the smaller sizes (8-12) in whatever colors are present where you fish. Don't leave home without a yellow/red and charturese/white though.

JH

I love streamer fishing and I'm always trying new ways. My favorites are:

Shenk's Minnow (tied in several color combinations)
Clouser Minnow (Several color combinations)
Thunderheads (I've been using them for about 3 years now and I'm really suprised at the success I've had with them.

Shenk's white minnow
black matuka
black zonker
mickey finn
black nosed dace

google has recipies for all of them.

Slumpbusters
Don't need anything else.
Did just start tying some Meat Whistles but I have tried them yet. Thier more of a big water streamer but the Slumps I tie down to size 12 in various colors. They catch fish everywhere any time. They are simply the best streamer I have ever fished.

Besides Buggers:

Clouser Foxee Minnow
Shenk Minnow
The various rabbit strip patterns: Zonker etc.

I'm surprised that several people mentioned the Mickey Finn. You really catch many fish on that fly? I tried it some back around 1970 and didn't have a lot of luck, so haven't used it since.

About adding weight to streamers. I haven't tried coneheads yet. Is there an advantage to using them over the lead dumbell eyes?

I'm surprised that several people mentioned the Mickey Finn. You really catch many fish on that fly? I tried it some back around 1970 and didn't have a lot of luck, so haven't used it since.

About adding weight to streamers. I haven't tried coneheads yet. Is there an advantage to using them over the lead dumbell eyes

I like the Mikey Finn, although I will say that it's best to fish them early in the season near redds. If you catch my meaning! They also work well in the Fall. Early and late in the day is good too, although I suppose that's true of most streamers or flies in general.

I'm not a big fan of coneheads.

I bought a pack of coneheads just to try them out. I figured in addition to being black and less flashy, they might have a more tapered shape the fish would like more. I still do way better with the good old gold brass beads.

here in the smaller streams, little brookie, black nosed dace, and a b.c. sculpin
on pine the same plus a little rainbow, brown, a milky chub, and a fun fur minnow, also buggers in olive/black, olive, white/grizzly, and a brown

I like the Slumpbusters too...go big or go home when it comes to streamer fishing for me.

Not familiar with the thunderhead. A quick google search turned up no picture. Anybody have one?

As for the slumpbuster, anyone have a recipe?

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/detail.cfm?parentID=37

Then you have this version
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/LeonardK73/Pinesquirrel.jpg
TMC 200R (size 8-12) hook
Black 3/0 danville thread
pine squirrel (black, olive, natural)
superglue or zap-a-gap

place hook in vise, start thread and wind it back to the bend keeping it very tight
measer the strip the lengh of the hook, seperate the hair and tye on to the hook
bring thread back to the front of hook (leaving small space between each gap)
add a small amount of glue to the back of the hook
(NOTE: here you need to work fast.. while keep it neat!!!)

Although im more into this version

http://www.riverbum.com/images/flies/big/side/Slumpbuster-Brown.jpg

Yeah, the bottom version was the one I had in mind. What materials are needed to tie that one?

no idea

looks like copper cone and copper braided mylar with fox fur on top...

JayL,

it's just a slumpbuster which i added legs to. Tail-grey zonker strip tied matuka style Body-black diamond braid Collar-brown rabbit strip wrapped 2 turns Legs-brown Head-gold cone

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/gallery/data/18127/Picture_006.jpg

Don't forget crayfish patterns when you are tying streamers. The big boys love em. Slumbusters are awesome flies, as are other patterns that represent sculpins.

Look up Clouser's cray fish. It is an easy tie and very effective. There is a bugger variant that is very productive too. It is called the bow river bugger. Big browns eat em up. Speaking of big. Tie and fish some big stuff, like size 2. A size 2 bugger or streamer is not too big for trout.

here is a link to a pic of a bow river bugger.

http://www.madeontheyellowstone.com/madeontheyellowstone/fly_photos/IMAG003A.JPG

Besides Buggers, if I fish streamer it is a crayfish, or a fry version of my targeted species of trout.
My crayfish pattern and brook trout pattern have been posted here before.
This a broun trout I've recently tied. Haven't had a chance to fish it. I think it's belly it a little too golden for a fry and should be duller. Whatcha think?
The reason I started tying trout fry as streamers, is because last year around this time Chaz brought up a study that showed that wild trout streams have 40% fatality rate. Mostly due to larger trout eating smaller trout.
A friend and I found that on brookie streams, a lot of large brookies eat small brookies excusively.

Attachments

• Copy of Baby Brwon Trout.jpg
    Copy of Baby Brwon Trout.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 3
Back