Trout stocking time is nearing

hooker-of-men wrote:
FlyGuyGlen wrote:
Do you just show up to the stocking locations at the date/time listed? Is there some other protocol to be followed? I'd love to help out with those near me.

I second these questions. I've always wanted to get involved, but the fact that the only info I have is a listing in the regulation book for a meeting in a random gas station parking lot has created some reluctance. Seems like this could be made more inviting. As is, kinda makes me concerned I'm gonna leave with syphilis...

Find the location from published information. Arrive a few minutes early. Look for the big white truck. Look for the line of vehicles lined up behind the white truck. Add your vehicle to the line and then follow the vehicle in front of you.

Some stream stockings are flush with vehicles and others are devoid of them and especially on the in-season stockings, the number of helpers tends to dwindle by the time the last few stocking points are accessed. Over the years of helping to stock, I became somewhat disappointed with the long line of truck followers. It seemed like 90% of the vehicles were just truck followers and 10% were actually helpers. The 90% had no regard for the people actually doing the carrying and they would not let you move up in the line so you wouldn't have to spend the majority of your time walking to the truck, only to find that the other active 8% of the followers had already grabbed the 3 or 4 bucket allotment.

If you oppose stocking over wild trout, just help stock streams without wild trout populations.

If you help stock over wild trout, you are lending support to that practice.

Back