Trout Season Opened TODAY!!!!!

M

Mike

https://www.media.pa.gov/Pages/fish-and-Boat-Commission-Details.aspx?newsid=316

Thank god the crowds from a planned opening day would of been a mess with everything going on right now .

Great news! I agree, Frederick. I was hoping PFBC would do this as soon as all pre season stocking was completed. It's the best way to limit the crowds and also does away with the controversy over who knows which rules now and where.

I think this was the right move. I have to say, I'm astounded, but not surprised by the amount of complaining on social media. People are so fixated on the "opening bell" approach to attacking the streams that they can't comprehend that it's not happening this year. I simply cannot wrap my head around the appeal of charging the streams in masses and dealing with people all over the place. What is the appeal there?

I just don't get it. All that clamour to go and catch the absolute worst tasting fish on earth. I think it's really about bragging rights. I don't know how many times I've heard the; "I limited out by 9am" line. As if it's some great accomplishment to catch 7 stocked rainbows. Brace yourselves for the constant feed of photos on facebook of grown men holding a stringer full of finless rainbows.

This is the 1st opening day I've missed in years, I go to the same stream that isn't stocked and have a nice morning. Last couple of years I've been the only one fishing but will wait a couple more weeks before I go out.

Bravo!

Anyone complaining about this must be like those people who complained when the deer season start was moved to sat.
Old habits die hard I guess!

I think part of the stigma with a traditional OD is insecurity. If there's a traditional OD on a certain day and time, with no angling allowed from the time the fish are stocked until then, stocked Trout anglers can rest easy that in theory (unless someone is poaching) no one is beating me to the stream and catching the fish. Now, unless you can drop what you're doing this morning and go, you may miss out on the fish...Silly as it is.

Part of it too it the tradition of getting together with friends and family, maybe opening up your camp for the first time of the Spring, etc. That part I like, the rest not so much. But clearly that sort of thing probably shouldn't be happening this year given what's going on. Good move PFBC.

Dryflyguy: yep.

Swatty (1st paragraph): I'm sure you are right. It's a symptom of the dysfunction related to trout stocking as it has been done.

Maybe this will ease the crowding on special regs waters as the good hatches start....at least this year.

Oh crap. All the streams are going to be "fished out" by the weekend!

They listened to my rants!!

http://www.paflyfish.com/forums/Open-Forums/Paflyfish-General-Forum/Does--quot-Shelter-in-place-quot--mean-no-going-out-to-ffish-/2,49329,710757.html#forumpost710757

Perhaps this is one of the best decisions from the Pa Fish Commission in quite awhile. No doubt this eliminates a lot of the opening day crowding issues.

Good deal for those in the northern half and S W parts of the state, given the relatively nice weather and the fact that the regional opener would have been just three days ago on the original schedule . The rest of the state just gained 1.5 wks of prime time stocked stream and lake fishing. Despite this, it is almost a assured that some will find reason to complain even with extra trout fishing time.

I mean I get it , but just imagine the people lined up buying fishing license now at Wal-Mart. Your typical open dayers

Thunderpole wrote:
I mean I get it , but just imagine the people lined up buying fishing license now at Wal-Mart. Your typical open dayers

If they didn't have one by now, that would have happened anyway, even with the traditional start dates. They've reminded and encouraged that folks can buy their license online, and don't need to display a license. A saved image on your phone will also suffice this year.

Might as well shut down in store sales IMO.

Great video with guidance from PFBC. Feel free to share it.

https://youtu.be/BFrZnOfvzQg

Start posting your stringer shots.

Back