Trout killer

dubthethorax wrote:
I ran in to George at the LL on Saturday. I've been meaning to get an interview up with him for the last year or so on my blog. I mentioned this thread to him and he wound up sending me step by step pics for tying his killer pattern. I'll try to post them up tonight when I get home. (gonna take a while, it's like 40 pics)

I hope to get to LL Bean tomorrow and see if he is tying there. I was told that every Tuesday between 6 and 8 he ties flies.
Thanks for posting the instructions. Can't wait to see them.
Bill

Dub - I too ran into George on Saturday at the LL. The "Killer" is indeed tied with 4 feathers, as gfen posted.

The original version of this fly was tied with a built up and painted thread head. He added the bead when they became commonly available. Obviously, he's been tying them for a long time!

George has no problem with posting the recipe (or a link) here. He's always willing to share his knowledge, but I doubt he'll post himself. I almost didn't recognize him - he's lost 60 pounds over the last two years.

H.A.

I tied one of these on the other day on a #4 streamer hook. I only used three feathers; it really needs the fourth on the bottom. I did fish it and have to say that it does move the trout! :-D I didn't land anything with it, but they did chase it and move around.

H.A.-I think I saw you sitting at the table as I was leaving, but you were mid-conversation with a few guys and I didnt want to interrupt.

Dub - you're always welcome in any conversation. Wish you'd have joined in! Those guys were some of my old fishing buddies, and it's been too long since we've fished together. We'll fix that soon.

HA.. Not sure if I'm am talking about same crowd here! Grumpy Old Men that sit at bench below bridge? They are funnier then hell!
Good guys! You would see me there, always stop and talk with them!
Again we may be referring to another group of guys!

Suckerspawn wrote:
HA.. Not sure if I'm am talking about same crowd here! Grumpy Old Men that sit at bench below bridge? They are funnier then hell!
Good guys! You would see me there, always stop and talk with them!
Again we may be referring to another group of guys!

At one time or another, most of the regulars down there were "on the outs" with the previous fly shop owner, and asked to not hang around the shop. The solution was to set up a canopy at a couple of tables below the bridge - which just ticked off the previous owner even more.

It was an interesting social order, that's for sure - kinda like flyfishing "misfits". Grumpy old men is about right, but some were younger guys. Lord knows, I spent some time in the Parkway Purgatory. :lol:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
It was an interesting social order, that's for sure - kinda like flyfishing "misfits". Grumpy old men is about right, but some were younger guys. Lord knows, I spent some time in the Parkway Purgatory. :lol:

They were the first bunch of guys I met when I started fly fishing. I'm glad I got to know Al Miller too. :)

i really like this streamer.does anybody know how well it fishes without the bead? i would like to try it.(i'm not very much of a BH user)

I went to Bean last night but George had to cancel class due to an emergency. I hope to talk to him more, about this streamer next week.
He said to give him credit and call it George's killer. :)

Ed,
I used to sit down at that bench at the shop an tied a hell of a lot till said previous owner got out of line.We moved down to the picnic bench an set up proceedings .I was one of the younger guys, that sat with Joe Koehler,Rich Heiserman,Jimmy Dinolfo,Dave Norwood,Kenny the drunk,Al Miller,Bill Hicks,Bobby the Jarhead Bob Cericola and Bob Miller {author of Tricos}an a few others. We were known as the Lil Lehigh Flyfishers...we had lots of good times.

I just did a feature on George on my blog, and he provided step by step instructions on tying the killer, with a ton of photos.

http://dubthethorax.blogspot.com/2012/12/featured-fly-tier-george-maciag-and-his.html

Lonewolfe,
I used to sit with those guys with loum from here. we would stop around lunch time a chat with them. that was back in 2002-2004. we were both unemployed fish bums at the time, come to think of it we still are..

Thanks dub I will check it out.

It's a nice fly and really stirs the fish up!

Back