trout fishing in warm weather

zenherper

zenherper

What kind of water do you look for when the temperatures warm up like this? It seems like we went from high water directly to warm water. I know a lot of the streams are still fine, and that all the rain made this an off year. However, this little heat wave got me thinking about my options for the summer.

I know there are some non-trout options, but I'm looking for some advice on finding some productive trout fishing and tactics for summer fishing.

Thanks in advance!

There are a couple of options, some mountain steams stay cold all year long. Anything on the natural repo list or the class A stream list. Another option is where these streams enter the larger waters.

Zen,
As a general rule, I refrain from C&R trout fishing once water temps hit about 72 degrees F. My local ATWs usually hit that by mid June and I'll head out with a creel to try to get some fish to eat before they die off. A couple evenings ago I hit the lower end of one of these streams and, despite the relatively high water levels, the water temp was 75 which is extremely warm (I was surprised and took the temp several times in different shady spots to confirm). While trout were visible, they would not eat, which is typical for such a rapid water temp rise.
As for what water to look for - mainly focus on limestoners or headwater streams in higher elevations with good coniferous tree cover....but the thermometer is really your best friend. It's often best to fish mornings too as temps can be in the mid 60s in the am and rise into the mid 70s by late afternoon with the sort of weather we're having this week.

I highly recommend if you plan to fish for trout in summer you get a thermometer rather than relying on stream lists - even some of the Class A waters can get very warm. Personally, I prefer to fish bass in summertime.

Great post by fishidiot.

Stick to the DHALO stretches once the temps hit 70+ degrees. Spring creeks are an option too, but you should be sure to take temps wherever you go to be certain.

People pound streams like valley and spring creeks even after the temps get too high, and they are robbing us all of future fishing opportunities with their recklessness.

Thank you for the info guys. Summer is the best opportunity for me to get in any decent amount of fishing. My schedule keeps me extremely busy from September through May, so June through August are my best times to get out. I don't mind traveling and hitting new water all the time, but I do prefer stream fishing rather than ponds. Although I must admit that I have never given pond fishing a fair shot. Is this something you guys do with fly rods, chucking streamers all the time, or do you pull out the spin and tackle? To be honest, I wouldn't even know how to go about fly fishing a pond other than streamers...

I was thinking about hitting the Tulpy tomorrow Zenherper but I am not so sure now if it is warming up that much and they are not eating. I guess a little practice wouldn't hurt. I have a cheap-o fly rod rigged for bass for when it gets warmer. What other streams do you fly fish on? Maybe the Maidencreek down 143 will still be ok since I think that is closer to the mountain sources. I have yet to fish it though.

shirk81 wrote:
I was thinking about hitting the Tulpy tomorrow Zenherper but I am not so sure now if it is warming up that much and they are not eating. I guess a little practice wouldn't hurt. I have a cheap-o fly rod rigged for bass for when it gets warmer. What other streams do you fly fish on? Maybe the Maidencreek down 143 will still be ok since I think that is closer to the mountain sources. I have yet to fish it though.

I think the Tully is fishing pretty well right now at certain times of the day. I hear early mornings and evenings are good if you are able to get there. I haven't been there for a few weeks though. I have been enjoying some of the smaller class A streams around Berks. I don't mind hiking/exploring and finding nice little places to fish.

There biting in the pennypack.

I was refering to the beavers. Ha!

Back