Trout Catch/Hookup Equation

P

PennypackFlyer

Who else uses the equation system when keeping track of catches?

I find that I always keep track of my trout count by how many hookups vs how many I release when brought to hand. Example 2/4 indicate that I released two of the 4 fish I had on.

I only do this with trout and no other fish which might seam odd.

Nope...I don't keep track of catches. I can't even keep track of what I catch in a single day a lot of the time.

Wouldn’t that be a ratio, not an equation?

DaveS wrote:
Wouldn’t that be a ratio, not an equation?

Yes, yes it would. And I don't ever keep track of the fish I catch regardless of species. I fish to enjoy myself and don't strictly count numbers or size. Sure, I can remember certain experiences and certain instances of landing exceptional fish but I don't really keep track or chart it. The easiest time to keep track are the trips where I catch zero fish. When you have a good day and crush the fish it is hard to remember the number caught.

I usually loose 2 or 3 for every 12 I catch, the new comp style large gape upturned point barbless hooks have helped that ratio big time.

Counting seems too much like work.

I only consistently count fish in years when I'm keeping a journal and in those cases I don't count hits/hook-ups to landed ratio.

Based on general trout fishing experience, I am confident in saying that my ratio is poorest (ie. most fish either were not hooked at all or got off) when streamer fishing.

Curiously, when bass fishing, I seem to have a better ratio with streamers and lose more fish on poppers.

Personally, I don't keep track of fish, hooked, lost, landed. Notable fish usually stand out on their own merit. Big fish, especially difficult ones. The one your buddy cast to 473 times without a look, but you got on the first drift. (With HIS rod)

I once had an associate claim as we rigged up, "This is gonna be great! Yesterday I was here and got 21!"
After many fishless hours later, I asked if he meant he got two and lost one?

In the poor landing ratio scenario, I can add this; Earlier this Spring, I'd encountered a hatch, but with somewhat high water, the fish rose mostly along the slower margins of the stream. I order to get a good drift, I fished downstream at a pretty steep angle, checking the cast and then mending as needed. I was hooking a lot of fish on a relatively long line is fairly fast water. I lost a bunch. So when I did mange a better fish, I started to immediately head downstream after them, as soon as I set the hook, to get a shorter line and a better angle on the fish. But I still can't tell you exactly how many I got that day.

I don't keep track of small stocked trout anymore. To me after one or two of them they are pests to me. If I was steelhead or big brown fishing then I know I gotta 50/50 chance to bring them in. I already know this just by the gear I'm using. So usually I count how many bring in.

When I kept a diary (silly me), I counted.

These days I don't bother with a diary or stream log so instead I count the number of beers I drink before I fish...

...which I have noticed has a direct effect on the ratio of fish lost or missed versus released.

If they don't make it to the photarium, they don't count. Honestly, I lose track on a good day when numbers would even mean anything. I do count when I just need one so I can quit and go home!

Yes my beer to fish ratio mirrors bamboozle's. I dont keep track of anything and I hardly ever take pics but I'm certain more beer = less fish for me. Not necessarily less fun though.

On good or bad days, I know the number of fish I land. On bad days, I also tend to know the number of fish I hook and lose, like caught one and lost two. On the good days, the fish I lose get lost in the noise of the fish that are landed.

I keep track until I've caught enough for a theoretical dinner, tis a bloodsport and all, anything after that is bonus and I inevitably lose count....

In my 'journal' I'll simply note whether I caught 'a few' or 'plenty' along with remarking on any notable fish and what they ate. Days of the skunk are a "nice time scouting the water."

Im with salmonoid.

I keep track of number of fish i land. I dont keep track of number of fish i miss or lose. But on a bad day its easy to remember.

*bad day for me, in the sense that I don't land any fish. Still a good day, since it means I'm out trying to catch fish..

Back