Trout C&R Net Management

Z

Zak

This may be a weird question but it's been about 25 years since I used a net for trout fishing so I am out of the loop. I decided that I would like to start using a net again, especially for bigger fish so I dont have to fight them to complete exhaustion. But the thought of a bungy cord around my neck seems dreadful. I dont wear a vest but instead a fanny pack. How do you guys manage nets? is there any sort of attachment peice available or do you just sling them over your shoulder and that's that. Educate me please!!

I carry a sling that sits on my right hip, similar height to a fanny. I just put a small carabineer on a loop fairly high on the back strap on my pack. Take an appropriate length of paracord (I need just a couple inches) from the end of the net and put another smaller carabineer on the other end of the paracord. Connect carabineer to carabineer. I like it so it rides high enough so it’s out of the way and it’s not hitting my legs when I walk, but not so high that it’s tough to reach around and grab.

In your case, I would just add a couple of inches of paracord to the end of the net with a carabineer attached. Carabineer the net right to the strap on your fanny pack somehow. Probably behind you, or off to the side on your weak arm side so line doesn’t catch on it while casting.

And not a weird question at all. I don’t like carrying nets, and generally don’t while fishing small, wild Trout streams. For 99% of the fish you catch on those streams, you don’t need one, and the net is more often a hindrance and in the way than help. I recently caught a spritely 14” Brown on such a stream and wished I had one though…it happens. If I’m fishing a larger stream, with generally larger fish, and I’ll be in the stream channel most of the time and not brush busting and climbing over stuff, I regularly carry a net as described above though.

Use a longer stretch bungee and tuck the handle between you and the fanny pack in the back. Something will get in the way sometime but this is very manageable.
I got away from the fanny pack because it was difficult to swing around and I'm short so it hindered wading. I didn't want to soak my equipment if I waded to my thighs.

Thanks for the replies guys! I appreciate you talking the time. I like both option but like the Carabineer one a lot. Tucking it in makes sense too. Completely agree about when to carry and when not too. I'm happy to chance having to hand land a big trout on a small stream. It's part of the run. But those big runs on big creeks can and get cumbersome at times and then trying to get a picture of a big trout and it decides its not done yet haha. It will be nice to just end the darn fight the first chance I can. Not to mention I could snap my rod over my knee during those times when the fish shakes the hook loose well after you could have netted him haha!!!

Back