Trout and gobblers

GenCon

So Friday eve was the start to a great weekend. Tyger, Mic and myself went to the Brodheads. I had a brand new rod to break in an Orvis 9' 4 wt. On arrival Tyger and I saw a number of Hendrickson spinners in the air and a myriad of caddis. After being there a bit I decided I wanted to swing some wet flys. I put on a breadcrust and a PT softhackle. Working my way to a tail out. I saw a fish rise. I cast in front and a bit passed and swung my fliys right in his face. He gobbled up my breadcrust. This guy was cool he was about a 13'' tiger trout. A stocked fish I know. But what a cool way to break in my new rod. 1st fish on a new rod being a tiger trout on a breadcrust. As many of you know that fly has a history for me. Ended up with 7 fish all but 1 on the breadcrust. I told Tyger and Mic I wanted to get going soon as it was getting late and I had to get up at 3:30am to take my buddy John turkey hunting. In the morning John and I set up at one of my favorite spots. 1st light lots of birds sounding off. When they pitched down I called in 3 long beards. I took the largest one a real beauty. 20 yd. shot put him down quick. With that John and I switched positions. After about 20 mins. I started calling again. A bird answered quickly. Within about 10 mins. I called in 3 nice jakes. My buddy John took the largest one. What a great start to the weekend. Broke in my new rod with a tiger trout on a breadcrust and bagged 2 turkeys. Spent time with great friends. Who could ask for more?

Gencon

Attachments

• tiger.jpg
    tiger.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 8
  • turkey 1.jpg
    turkey 1.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 4
  • John.jpg
    John.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 3
Awesome congrats Mike! Great couple of days there!...

Thanks Jack.

GenCon

Mike, youre on fire! Great troutie, and nice birds. An epic weekend for sure.

Cool. Cast and blast. Plenty of turkey feathers for tying. Looks like a great time.

Thanks guys. Was a lot of fun. Now that the turkey is down. Time to concentrate on more fishing.

GenCon

Millsertime wrote:
Fishing a breadcrust on the Brodhead. Classic American Fly Fishing!

Yes it is very classic.

GenCon

A fine day, congrats.

Back