Trophy Trout Regs Worthless

>>We must be talking past one another. RLeeP suggested that prior "bridge cropping" theories never were used in reference to Penns. This comment confused me because I didn't think Penns Creek trout would move farther than other trout, so the theory should still pertain to Penns.>>

Well, I could have been more clear/concise.

Here's what I'm saying..

Virtually all of the posts I've seen on this forum in regards to the cropping thing have been in reference to small, wild brook trout streams. None (that I recall at any rate.) have been in reference to streams of the size class of Penns at Ingleby.

And this makes sense to me because I simply do not think that larger streams of this nature are anywhere as easily cropped as small water can be, particularly when the difference is between a brown trout stream of Penns' fertility and the typical, infertile small brook trout stream. This is before we even get to how much more difficult it would be to effectively fish all the potential holding water in a given section of Penns than it would to do so in a very small brook trout stream where every fishy spot is right there to be seen. And it's before we even get to the notion that since the Commission measures trout biomass by weight/unit of surface area, even if a small brook trout stream and the Ingleby section of Penns had identical biomass numbers (except for species), you would probably have to fish the better part of a mile of the smaller stream to be working over the same number of trout as you could by falling out your car at Ingleby and never moving more than 50 feet up or downstream.

All these things, IMO, argue against cropping being much of a factor on the section of Penns being discussed.

As near as I can see, trout movement isn't an issue. Or if it is, it is dwarfed by the physical differences in the places being compared.

And this makes sense to me because I simply do not think that larger streams of this nature are anywhere as easily cropped as small water can be, particularly when the difference is between a brown trout stream of Penns' fertility and the typical, infertile small brook trout stream.

OK....then why are there less fish greater than 14" in the TT section than the C&R section?

And don't think if you get a few good fisherman that want to creel some trout, that they can't put a dent in Penns trout populations. One PA Fish Commissioner said to me once a trout is dead, its dead and it can't get any bigger. And it takes at least 3-4 years for a YOY trout to grow to 14" and those have to be good growing seasons with good flows and water temps.

Penns has a tremedous amount of angling pressure. It doesnt take much even on large streams like Penns. I do agree that, smaller streams are more susceptable to cropping but dont think that it can't occur in larger streams either with a lot of pressure like Penns. If you ever walk the banks of Penns you will not the "fisherman paths" are well worn from Weikert to Coburn...all year long.

Back