Trolling Motor

H

Hooligan

I recently bought a 14' semi-vee boat. Right now it's human propelled (me and oars), but I would like to get a trolling motor, battery, and charger. I know next to nothing about them, but I know I want it. Cost IS a factor. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I don't know anything about trolling motors, but you may want to look into using 18650 laptop batteries to make a DIY lithium battery pack for it. Hah...18650 is the model number or whatever. I don't mean use eighteen thousand six hundred and fifty laptop batteries. With a little research you can make a lithium battery that is better than a lead acid for about the same cost or even less if you shop carefully.

Get a size 27 deep cycle marine battery for the best bang for the buck. They can be had for around $75-100 but you do get what you pay for. No need for an Optima battery for a small boat. As far as trolling motors, Minn-Kota is the way to go. I have used Motorguide and Minn-Kota and Minn-Kota seems to be a better option (at least for me). I have a spare Minn-Kota 30lb. thrust that I would be willing to sell since I just got a more powerful motor to fish with a few people in the boat. Are you looking at a transom mount (back) or bow mount (front)? Is your boat more like a utility/jon boat for carpeted and finished? That all plays a factor as to what kind of motor you need based on boat weight, gear, people, and fishing location. I hope this helps and feel free to PM with any questions.

Get a Minn Kota trolling motor. They last. I ended up going to a bow mount after a few years of fighting the wind with a transom mount.

Get the largest deep cycle marine battery you can lift in and out of the boat. The ones Walmart carry are fine.

Get a good sealed charger made for use on boats. Like this: charger

Take care of the battery and it will last several years. Always charge shortly after a trip. Store in a garage or other similar shelter for winter and charge it every few months. (Even better put it on a good trickle charger.)

Franklin is correct that you can grab a great deal getting a battery even at Wal-Mart. Since you don't have a trade in, you will likely have to pay a core charge of about $20 for the new battery. I have a 5 amp trickle charger that I got with my Minn-Kota Endura motor and it works great. Make sure if you store your battery in the basement or garage that you keep it off of the bare concrete. For some reason it seems to pull from the charge. Also, invest in a case for the battery (like $5) and ALWAYS charge after every use. Good chargers will have an automatic shut off feature when a full charge is reached.

^ All true.

Minn Kota, nothing else. 30ft/lb will move you at about four knots in your boat on calm water, and in my 14'er you will slightly plane. However, 30ft/lbs will barely take you against the current in the Susquehanna. My Minn Kota is 30 years old and runs like a champ.

I get about 12 hours of trolling time per charge with the 30ft/lber, according to the voltage drop on the fishfinder. Your mileage may vary will different motors.

Buy a deep cycle marine battery. They work in subzero weather.

I've set up several bow mount motors on jon boats over the years.It could present a challenge.Send me a top view and side view of your front and I'll make some suggestions.PM me

Thanks for the input, everyone! I failed to mention the water I'd be using it on- a 30 acre lake. My buddy stopped up an dwe tried out his Shakespeare motor that he had sitting in his garage for the past hundred years or so. It did what I needed it to do, so I ordered a Minn Kota 30 (C2), a Schuster charger, and an Interstate 27 deep charge battery. That oughta do it.

Just my 2 cents:Never hurts to have a second battery in the boat especially on a lake that big IMO

AFISHN wrote:
Just my 2 cents:Never hurts to have a second battery in the boat especially on a lake that big IMO
I carry a second, cheap battery in the bow just. in. case.

It'll take me forever to get back, but it's better than rowing!

For the size of the lake I don't feel I would need a back-up battery on the boat (maybe one at the house, though!). I can always row back if there's a failure.

Again, thanks to all.

Also just another tip never store the battery directly on concrete. Keep it up off the ground or on a shelf.

Scratch that! Only older batteries had that problem due to case materials.

Make sure if you store your battery in the basement or garage that you keep it off of the bare concrete. For some reason it seems to pull from the charge.

Not necessary, that is an old wives' tale. The other advice sounds good though.

Back