Trolling motor on canoe

Shawn Joseph

Shawn Joseph

Not sure if this post belongs elsewhere? I like to float the Susquehanna in my canoe. My only problem is it’s a two guy operation. You know, dropping my car down stream and a buddy taking me upstream.

The camp I stay at is 49 minutes away. I fish the north branch above Towanda. Is there a trolling motor that could take a canoe a couple miles upstream. Then I can float down to my truck? I know some places get shallow and am aware I might have to get out and walk the canoe a bit.

Thanks in advance for advice.

Most old school trolling motors can be mounted on side and still work to get you up stream. Problem is with a lot of current side mount is less effective and may swing your front in unwanted directions. If patrolled by Wwco they may have a problem that it is not a registered power boat. I always wanted to pick up a scanoe with liftle gas motor for your exact purpose, Best of Luck let me know if you come up with something. Maybe get a small kayak?

Is you canoe a flat backed scanoe? If so, easy-peazy. As Floggingtrout said, you'll have to update your boat registration to a powered boat.

I have a 1436 Jon boat with a 3.3 hp mercury 2-stroke that works well. When I use my canoe, I make it a point to point float.

I have a mount to hang a trolling motor off the side of my canoe. My canoe is a Mad River with a shallow V hull, which is not the best design for flat water, and the side mounted motor still works well.

Previously I had a square stern Coleman canoe, and working a tiller behind me got old. I prefer the side mount in front, but I've never fished with it.

Get some long cables to mount the battery as far front as possible to maintain good balance.

There are ways to rig a standard canoe for an outboard. It’s a solid option.

A square stern canoe, however, is the ideal Susquehanna craft. I’ve been with my Coleman scanoe since before I met my wife, and we’ve been married 30 years.

I started with a mercury 2.2, but graduated to a Johnson 5 hp. Both are great for doing exactly what you described: motor up and drift down. Plus you get the option of a second chance at a good spot.

I’ve never put in and drifted down on the idea that I’d motor back up. Just too many variables on the mighty Susquehanna.

I went with the Coleman and its heavy polymer hull and have never regretted it. I can patch it with a fiberglass kit from autozone, but most rock encounters don’t leave a permanent mark.

Grumman makes an aluminum square back, but I believe the Susquehanna would not be kind to that vessel.

Not sure if this post belongs elsewhere? I like to float the Susquehanna in my canoe. My only problem is it’s a two guy operation. You know, dropping my car down stream and a buddy taking me upstream.

The camp I stay at is 49 minutes away. I fish the north branch above Towanda. Is there a trolling motor that could take a canoe a couple miles upstream. Then I can float down to my truck? I know some places get shallow and am aware I might have to get out and walk the canoe a bit.

Thanks in advance for advice.
Need a small gas to run upriver there.

Make sure you can update the registration. I bought a scanoe for the exact same reason, but, me being young and dumb, did not look into the the titling/registration before I bought it on Facebook. I was given a title signed by the original owner but it wasn’t notarized, and was never able to get it transferred even after multiple attempts to get the seller to help me notarize it. Now I have an old square tail that I can’t legally put a motor on, even a trolling motor.

The odds of me running into a WCO is pretty slim, but still not worth a fine IMO, so it looks like I’m paddling.

Make sure you can update the registration. I bought a scanoe for the exact same reason, but, me being young and dumb, did not look into the the titling/registration before I bought it on Facebook. I was given a title signed by the original owner but it wasn’t notarized, and was never able to get it transferred even after multiple attempts to get the seller to help me notarize it. Now I have an old square tail that I can’t legally put a motor on, even a trolling motor.

The odds of me running into a WCO is pretty slim, but still not worth a fine IMO, so it looks like I’m paddling.
This is/was actually a pretty easy fix.
Per the fish commission-
Forget about the title. Consider this a boat you found. You need to make sure you remove all the identifying numbers and letters/name from the boat. You then do something custom, add a seat, or patch a hole etc. add some extra ribs etc. This idea, directly from the fish commission is that you are starting over from scratch. This is a homemade custom built boat. You can name it what you want. And register it how you want. Unpowered or powered. It takes a little while dealing with the Harrisburg end of things. But it sure is nice to be legal. Last one my friend did he registered as powered and has a 4hp Johnson on it. Me and my friends have done this multiple times over the years. It was suggested to us by one of the fish commission higher ups after calling in to the fish commission years ago with your exact same problem.
It’s been about 5 years ago. But I would assume it will still work. You just have to follow the fish commissions path of registering a homemade boat as powered. It has worked for me and my friends multiple times. Good luck.

Per the fish commission-
Forget about the title. Consider this a boat you found. You need to make sure you remove all the identifying numbers and letters/name from the boat. You then do something custom, add a seat, or patch a hole etc. add some extra ribs etc. This idea, directly from the fish commission is that you are starting over from scratch. This is a homemade custom built boat. You can name it what you want. And register it how you want. Unpowered or powered. It takes a little while dealing with the Harrisburg end of things. But it sure is nice to be legal. Last one my friend did he registered as powered and has a 4hp Johnson on it. Me and my friends have done this multiple times over the years. It was suggested to us by one of the fish commission higher ups after calling in to the fish commission years ago with your exact same problem.
It’s been about 5 years ago. But I would assume it will still work. You just have to follow the fish commissions path of registering a homemade boat as powered. It has worked for me and my friends multiple times. Good luck.
Well I’ll definitely be looking into this! Thank you for the tip, that’s a life saver

There has to be a way around that. I can't imagine the system will forever leave a boat unable to be powered.

Per the fish commission-
This is a great post. Once you start putting a normally unpowered craft (canoe, kayak, etc.) under power the game changes. This is "low hanging fruit" WCOs often look for an will get you a nice little fine. One of the most innocent examples of it is putting a trolling motor on a kayak and not registering it. One of my former co-workers got pinch on Lake Marburg for having a trolling motor on his canoe and not having it registered. He was a little lighter in the wallet after that...

This is a great post. Once you start putting a normally unpowered craft (canoe, kayak, etc.) under power the game changes. This is "low hanging fruit" WCOs often look for an will get you a nice little fine. One of the most innocent examples of it is putting a trolling motor on a kayak and not registering it. One of my former co-workers got pinch on Lake Marburg for having a trolling motor on his canoe and not having it registered. He was a little lighter in the wallet after that...

Says more about the guy with the badge than the guy with the motor on his canoe at that point

Says more about the guy with the badge than the guy with the motor on his canoe at that point

You're not wrong. Sometimes you get the luck of the draw with a WCO and sometimes you don't!

Square stern is best bet but its fairly easy to either build or buy a side mount bracket for either a gas or electric outboard. Yes the canoe will need registration. Yes you will need life jackets. An anchor would also be a suggestion. I have fished from one end of Raystown Lake to the other and sometimes at night (you will need lights in bow and stern to go at night) and on the Susquehanna and Juniata and a few other places out of a square stern with gas motor. Now that I am older I prefer the comfort of a nice jet boat but I enjoyed the old days and caught plenty of fish out of that rig.

You need to make sure you remove all the identifying numbers and letters/name from the boat.
Completely illegal by Pa law and Coast Guard standards. Hull ID numbers can never be changed or altered and must remain with the boat till death. Removing all numbers, patching the boat or changing out a seat or rib does not make it a homemade boat. This happens to be what people who steal boats do and it’s why there are laws against it. I find it hard to believe a person responsible for registering and titling boats would recommend committing a crime over applying for a title.

§ 95.7. Hull identification numbers.​

(a) A person who builds a boat for his own use shall identify the boat with two hull identification numbers that meet the requirements of this section.

(b) Persons who are required to identify boats under subsection (a) shall obtain the required hull identification number from the Commission. Application shall be made on forms provided by the Commission.

(c) Two identical hull identification numbers are required to be displayed on each boat hull. The first hull identification number shall be affixed as follows:

(1) On boats with transoms, to the starboard side of the transom within 2 inches of the top of the transom gunwale or hull/deck joint, whichever is lowest.

(2) On boats without transoms or on boats on which it would be impractical to use the transom, to the starboard outboard side of the hull, aft, within 1 foot of the stern and within 2 inches of the top of the hull side, gunwale or hull/deck joint, whichever is lowest.

(3) On catamarans and pontoon boats which have readily replaceable hulls, to the aft crossbeam within 1 foot of the starboard hull attachment.

(4) If the hull identification number would not be visible because of rails, fittings or other accessories, the number shall be affixed as near as possible to the location specified in paragraph (1).

(d) The duplicate hull identification number shall be affixed in an unexposed location on the interior of the boat or beneath a fitting or item of hardware.

(e) Each hull identification number shall be carved, burned, stamped, embossed, molded, bonded or otherwise permanently affixed to the boat so that alteration, removal or replacement would be obvious. A hull identification number may not be attached to parts of the boat that are removable.

(f) The character of each hull identification number may not be less than 1/4 of an inch high.

(g) A person may not remove or alter a number required by this section or 33 CFR 181.23 (relating to hull identification numbers required) unless authorized by the Executive Director.

Completely illegal by Pa law and Coast Guard standards. Hull ID numbers can never be changed or altered and must remain with the boat till death. Removing all numbers, patching the boat or changing out a seat or rib does not make it a homemade boat. This happens to be what people who steal boats do and it’s why there are laws against it. I find it hard to believe a person responsible for registering and titling boats would recommend committing a crime over applying for a title.

§ 95.7. Hull identification numbers.​

(a) A person who builds a boat for his own use shall identify the boat with two hull identification numbers that meet the requirements of this section.

(b) Persons who are required to identify boats under subsection (a) shall obtain the required hull identification number from the Commission. Application shall be made on forms provided by the Commission.

(c) Two identical hull identification numbers are required to be displayed on each boat hull. The first hull identification number shall be affixed as follows:

(1) On boats with transoms, to the starboard side of the transom within 2 inches of the top of the transom gunwale or hull/deck joint, whichever is lowest.

(2) On boats without transoms or on boats on which it would be impractical to use the transom, to the starboard outboard side of the hull, aft, within 1 foot of the stern and within 2 inches of the top of the hull side, gunwale or hull/deck joint, whichever is lowest.

(3) On catamarans and pontoon boats which have readily replaceable hulls, to the aft crossbeam within 1 foot of the starboard hull attachment.

(4) If the hull identification number would not be visible because of rails, fittings or other accessories, the number shall be affixed as near as possible to the location specified in paragraph (1).

(d) The duplicate hull identification number shall be affixed in an unexposed location on the interior of the boat or beneath a fitting or item of hardware.

(e) Each hull identification number shall be carved, burned, stamped, embossed, molded, bonded or otherwise permanently affixed to the boat so that alteration, removal or replacement would be obvious. A hull identification number may not be attached to parts of the boat that are removable.

(f) The character of each hull identification number may not be less than 1/4 of an inch high.

(g) A person may not remove or alter a number required by this section or 33 CFR 181.23 (relating to hull identification numbers required) unless authorized by the Executive Director.
Thanks poopdeck!
Just to hopefully clarify a little….
I’m just repeating what I was told. And I’ll quote exactly what the fish commission said. “The boat cannot have any previous registration numbers or hull identification numbers on it to be considered homemade.” I interpreted this incorrectly as being helpful in his case. Don’t remove the numbers. Must be a way to apply for a new title.

Neither me or my friend had numbers or title’s and we both wanted to register the boats as powered. That’s why I said I had the exact same problem as him. No title.

I retract my previous statement about altering the numbers. I stand corrected. After reading section (g) I’ll admit it , I was wrong. Good catch poopdeck. Don’t alter the numbers.

If you find a boat and remove numbers, and don’t try to find the owners. No doubt you are committing a crime.

Since he has the non-notorized title for the boat I assume he isn’t stealing this boat. I think he is just looking for advice on how to register it legally.

Since I had the same problem and friends had the same problem of not having a title I was just giving advice on what I was told was the legal way to do it. Our boats didn’t have numbers. So no worries no crimes were committed.

If you find a boat that doesn’t have numbers and doesn’t have a title. And you repair it and make alterations it is classified as a homemade boat. Unless something has changed very recently, You are completely wrong about that.

This was the advice given by many calls to the fish commission over many years by multiple people. This was the exact advice given to be able to title it and register it. It has also been done within the law on multiple boats by multiple people. Following exactly the steps told to multiple people by the fish commission to make multiple boats legal.

I agree poopdeck I doubt the the people responsible for registering and titling boats would suggest anything illegal. Considering they suggested it multiple times to multiple people and walked us through the steps to do it this way. I can’t imagine that it would be illegal. However it appears to only apply to boats you find without a title and without identifying numbers. Which happens all the time. Sometimes we find three or four in a day. Since me and my friends canoe year round we find many boats each year. Especially in the winter and spring, and have returned many boats to their owners. A couple canoes without any way to identify we wanted to salvage and save rather than leave in the rivers as litter. That’s how I learned about this. By actually following the steps and directions given to me to register a boat without a title or numbers as a homemade boat legally.
Sorry for the bad advice on changing numbers. I was wrong.

I’ve been running a similar setup for years on my “duck boat”.
14’Sportspal wide belly canoe with a modified side motor mount. 3 hp Evenrude.
Works nice!
If you need a mount for a trolling motor, I have an extra one.

C_kreek - I just went through something similar with an old jon boat. But it had never been titled, only registered. I had a bill of sale (signed, but I don't think that mattered) from the old owner. I submitted the transfer form without the seller's signature (just a note to see attached bill of sale). They had a process where they tried to contact the old owner and give them a chance to dispute the registration process. After 30 days, if they got no response (or a positive response) from the old owner, they processed the registration to me. (which is what happened)
I would hope they would have a similar process for title transfer. If not, then this won't help you. But putting it out there for anybody else that might have a situation similar to mine.

Go through the process of putting a mechanic’s lien on it. Fairly routine procedure. If you are on good terms with the guy who works on your car, he can give practical advice.

Back