trip took a turn for the better (shad)

Gotcha. Being at the right place at the right time is always the most important aspect of fishing. Still, VERY VERY cool that you tagged a shad on the fly, I have yet to even see one. You said it was an incredible fight so I am now even more curious about the prospect of hooking into one. What species did it fight like or was it unlike anything else?

Gotcha. Being at the right place at the right time is always the most important aspect of fishing. Still, VERY VERY cool that you tagged a shad on the fly, I have yet to even see one. You said it was an incredible fight so I am now even more curious about the prospect of hooking into one. What species did it fight like or was it unlike anything else?
interesting question. havent thought about that until you mentioned yet.

i would say similar to a large smallmouth but with longer runs. or a small carp. the ones i was catching were making somewhat long runs but they are fast. they are a slim fish with a deep forked tail.

interesting question. havent thought about that until you mentioned yet.

i would say similar to a large smallmouth but with longer runs. or a small carp. the ones i was catching were making somewhat long runs but they are fast. they are a slim fish with a deep forked tail.

Were you doing battle in the river or the stream where you saw/hooked them?

I ask because if you hook one in the main current of the river on a fly rod you will be looking for some slack water. ;)

Were you doing battle in the river or the stream where you saw/hooked them?

I ask because if you hook one in the main current of the river on a fly rod you will be looking for some slack water. ;)
was not the main channel. i was in the delaware in front of a trib. keeped running me into the deep water before the mouth of the trib. bunch of runs. good time.

The Shad Kyle found were primarily post spawn fish returning to the salt. Not all Shad die post spawn and will feed on insects both nymphs and adult duns. During The earlier initial Spring spawning run shad rarely feed and you target their agression by presenting a fly in their path. The flows need to be condusive to wading but banner days are possible. Shad follow the channel and rest before and after riffs. They are super fun to catch and regularly get into your backing. I use a 6 or 7wt with a fast sink tip and generally use a small chartreuse bugger ribbed with a little flash with a pink thread head. Other colors work well also. Early morning and dusk is prime.

Last edited:
Back