trip took a turn for the better (shad)

Kyle

Kyle

my saturday started out smallmouth fishing the delaware river. then i saw shad stacked at the mouth of a trib. i saw the shad flashing in the current so i switched over to nymphs. caught 4 shad. missed a bunch and a few fell off. they are great on the fly rod. fun day!

sorry for the horrible picture. if you zoom in you will see the fly in its mouth.
KIMG1351

KIMG1352

Native silvery fusiform Anadromous fish that take you into your backing. Don’t understand why more people are not sitting on the delaware with these 12 foot spey rods. Awesome catch

Dear Kyle,

There must be some dandy carp and catfish in that section of the river too. That's a seriously stout carpin' stick stuck in the bank behind you!

Nice catch though. I remember a long time ago my brother caught one midging in the Junction Pool of the Delaware below Bard-Parker.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

This post is great!
Nice work

Very cool.
We’re you fishing locally?
I’m not asking you to site burn.

Kyle .. i would bet those are delicious with a nice hickory smoke for a few hours, folded into some NC pimento cheese spread, good crackers, some spicey dill gerkins and a chilled bottle of Gruner Veltliner ... no?

Yes a very underrated fish on the fly. Or in my case small flutter spoons. Starts in March and rarely disappoints. Susquehanna below Conowingo or the Delaware. American shad or hickories, my favorite. They show up on the costal beaches and inlets all summer long. Pete

from my aging memory ... with appologies to Shelby Foote - looking at me from my book shelf ... the American Shad also has a place in our Nation's history:

April 1865, with the war sloggin on, Gen Phil Sheridan's Union forces were closing in on Petersburg Va - which was also under siege. Lee stationed Gen George Pickett (yes that Pickett ) near Five Forks Va .... near Petersburg and to protect his right flank and supply lines. Pickett eventually fell back, and Lee sent a rare admonishment to Pickett ... "Dissapointed and saddened in your inability to hold your line, especially after gaining such a good and important ground ".

Pickett was not happy with Lee's message and felt he had secured a safe position ... he heard no shooting or artillery any where near. So Pickett, Fitzhugh Lee and another General accepted a Officers invite to a Shad Bake deep in the Va woods .. promising tasty baked shad, some good brown liquour and good company.

Pickett and the other officers enjoying the Shad Bake .... could not hear Sheridan's attack and the Battle , due to " accoustic Shadows " from the heavy sorounding woods. At the Battle of Five Forks, Sheridan routed Pickett's surprised army, killing / wounding a couple thousand and taking 4,000 prisoners. One week later, Lee surrendered to Grant at Appomattox.

in the old days, Fly Fisherman magazine's last page was always Nick Lyon's
"Seasonable Angler" ... his short stories. I remember one month Nick recounted the story of Pickett's Shad Bake... and a nice story about the American Shad. I hope i can find it in my stack of FFs.

(my appoligies to the monitors --- probably wrong place for this, but i thought our gang might be interested in the history. Thanks for indulging me! )

Yes a very underrated fish on the fly. Or in my case small flutter spoons. Starts in March and rarely disappoints. Susquehanna below Conowingo or the Delaware. American shad or hickories, my favorite. They show up on the costal beaches and inlets all summer long. Pete
caught my fair share on flutters and darts. they are great sport fish. what made my trip was being able to nympth for them. it was a great outing for sure. when i woke up with smallmouth on my mind and ended the day with shad. you never know!

from my aging memory ... with appologies to Shelby Foote - looking at me from my book shelf ... the American Shad also has a place in our Nation's history...

If you haven't read "The Founding Fish," by John McPhee you may want to find a copy.

When I lived in East Stroudsburg I always fished for shad in the Delaware after getting educated from stranger while fishing a local pond.

I tied weighted shad dart looking flies with bucktail and Mylar piping and made my own shooting head from yellow Stren and a 333 full sinker I bought just for the occasion along with a dishpan and bungee code stripping basket.

The ONLY rod I owned in those days that I felt was suitable was 9'6" 8wt Leonard Bamboo salmon rod in my collection paired with a Hardy St. Aidan. Both are still in my collection. That set-up weighed close to 16oz so having shooting head helped a LOT.

I used to catch BIG shad on the big rod and even caught a carp one day when the river was too high to wade.

If you haven't read "The Founding Fish," by John McPhee you may want to find a copy.

When I lived in East Stroudsburg I always fished for shad in the Delaware after getting educated from stranger while fishing a local pond.

I tied weighted shad dart looking flies with bucktail and Mylar piping and made my own shooting head from yellow Stren and a 333 full sinker I bought just for the occasion along with a dishpan and bungee code stripping basket.

The ONLY rod I owned in those days that I felt was suitable was 9'6" 8wt Leonard Bamboo salmon rod in my collection paired with a Hardy St. Aidan. Both are still in my collection. That set-up weighed close to 16oz so having shooting head helped a LOT.

I used to catch BIG shad on the big rod and even caught a carp one day when the river was too high to wade.
Bamboozle,

Thank you very much for the book recommendation .. this is exactly what i need. ive stuggled half way thru salman rushdie`s Victory City ... and chucked it ... it was completely unreadable by me. im currently re-reading Hemigways Across the river and into the Trees... and ive had enough of " i love you ... i truly love you" ... over and over ... between the Colonel & the Contessa in a gondola.

ill be ordering this today on Thrift Books. reminds me of On the Run.... by a kid who quit his wall street job to follow the striped bass migration up the east coast. i did enjoy that one

I know id really enjoy catching some shad . and i bet they are delicious smoked ... or baked! thanks again.

...I know id really enjoy catching some shad . and i bet they are delicious smoked ... or baked! thanks again.

They are fun as heck to catch, especially the hickory shad (not legal to target in PA) but if fishing the Delaware for American Shad you'll do way better from a boat because you need to be at the right spot at the right time and it isn't always possible to easily fish those spots from the bank.

Another book you may want to check out for tactics is "Shad Fishing, " by C. Boyd Pfeiffer."

Good luck if you give it a whirl!!

Weighs as much as a gen 2 Hatch Fanatic 12+. And I thought the Hatch 7+ was heavy...

Good report @Kyle. I always wondered about shad fishing myself but don't have any areas local to me to target them. Now that you said you can nymph for them I am REALLY interested about the possibilities in fishing for them.

One of my fishing buddies did some trolling for those with a down-rigger.

Good report @Kyle. I always wondered about shad fishing myself but don't have any areas local to me to target them. Now that you said you can nymph for them I am REALLY interested about the possibilities in fishing for them.

You could be fishing them in the Brandywine if a bunch if historical societies disnt have their heads up their a** about keeping a couple crappy dams in place.

Wow... I fully understand you resentment for these organizations now...

The "trick" to successful shad fishing IN the Delaware (if not in a boat) proper is timing. You have to be there when they are IN that spot where you are fishing.

I been on the river on days when folks in boats were hooking up on almost every cast and I was clobbering bruisers regularly with a fly rod. I'd go back to same spot the next few days and couldn't buy a fish...

You also have to be able to get your "fly" down in the water column where the shad are suspended. That's not as easy as it sounds in a river like the Delaware. Wading in some sections can be downright dangerous if you try and wade out or cover a lot of water.

Most casts also need to almost 90 degrees to the bank to hit the channel which depending on where you are you'll have little backcast room for the casts required to get a fly out and into the river channel.

It's a WHOLE different ballgame if you are lucky enough to find them stacked up at a creek mouth like Kyle.

The best way to figure them out is to experiment using spinning gear. Explore the river and note places where you would have room to cast a fly rod and can get a dart or flutter spoon down into the main channel without walking into a deep deadly hole.

Then go back with a fly rod and see if you can replicate the presentations you got with spinning tackle and modify your fly gear accordingly.

Or stick with spinning gear like I did...

In the meantime: https://www.drsfa.org/delaware-river-shad-fishermens-association

The "trick" to successful shad fishing IN the Delaware (if not in a boat) proper is timing. You have to be there when they are IN that spot where you are fishing.

I been on the river on days when folks in boats were hooking up on almost every cast and I was clobbering bruisers regularly with a fly rod. I'd go back to same spot the next few days and couldn't buy a fish...
Seems to be the same for steelhead. Fish moving upstream will be in various spots at various times. I have found in that particular style of fishing is that it's important to be the first on the water and stake out a good hole. Keep the whole throughout the day and with multiple people fan out and block off the hole. If people have to take breaks and there is only one member fishing, have that person on mobile blocking duty. You basically maintain a hole and wait for the next batch of upstream swimmers to enter the hole. You can dick around in the meantime but I usually nymph it continuously because it's something to do.

thanks. i wouldnt say you can nympth fish them on a regular basis. i got lucky lol. i was at the right place right time. i saw them flashing in the current so i knew they were eating nympths. i went back to the same spot sunday morning and didnt see a single shad. it was deff a trip to remember. i hope it happens again. was one hell of a fight on my 6 weight. and was something different to catch. i can check off shad on a fly now lol.

Back