Trip to Pere Marquette, MI

FFChineseman

FFChineseman

Hi, we are going to Pere Marquette for some witer steelhead fishing the last two weeks of December. Does anybody know a good place to stay and has good guided trip? It seems to me that the only place to go is PM River lodge in Baldwin. I just want to see if there are more than that. I appreciate your inputs!

http://www.baldwincreeklodge.com/

VERY reasonable off season rate and good guides. BTW, there is nothing to do in Baldwin other than fish, hunt, or maybe snowmobile. The town shuts down pretty early, especially in the winter. Headed there in 2 weeks. Can't wait!

thanks, Patrick. you will have to let us know how you did on your trip and share some photos! have a great trip!

I fished the Perre Marquette in Baldwin area about 7 years ago... the cabins I stayed in usually close down in late October so I won't steer you towards them and to be honest I don't even know if they are there anymore.

Baldwin does shut down early in the winter and there isn't much there. Your cell reception should be pretty poor. People will stare at you in restaurants and stores as if they are saying "huh, that is what normal people look like?" All joking aside your going at the perfect time of the year.

If my memory serves me correctly I remember thinking the Orvis endorsed lodge and fly shop right in Baldwin was really nice. Apparently they have some pretty good guides.

How are you getting up there during that time of the year? I have always wanted to go up in December but never really worked up the courage because it is almost a 14 hour drive for me and get a little nervous that heavy snow could really mess the trip up. Curious to see how you make out.

we are going to drive up there. A few of my friends did that last year. As long as we don't have the big storm, I think the drive should not be too bad, hopefully!

A couple of years ago I drove to the UP on News Years day to visit my college room-mate.....snowed the whole way from Detroit to the bridge.......I got across Mackinaw as darkness fell and was subsequently passed by 30 snowmobiles going about a hundred

All the great lakes are beautiful but I think Michigan takes it

Have a good trip...its only snow

The PM is a beautiful river. You will love it out there. I'ver never been there in December, but I would have four wheel drive. A lot of the access to river is miles back dirt roads. I'm not sure how well they are maintained in the winter...

There are many more places to stay than the PM River Lodge. I assume if you go in December, most places will be vacant. To name a few, whispering pines(cabins), red moose lodge, baldwin creek lodge, and of course the PM River Lodge.

One of the best places I have stayed at is one of red moose lodge's cabin. It is called the little south branch cabin. It is 100 dollars a night for up to 6 people.

No matter where you stay you will be a short drive from the flies only section of the PM.

-Pat

http://troutslayer.blogspot.com/

I've been going up there for many years, usually in late Sept/early Oct for Salmon(I, too, will be up there in a couple weeks). I usually stay at the Outdoor Inn, and have nothing but good to say about it. Having said that, my favorite shop in town, Baldwin Bait and Tackle(despite the name, they are primarily a fly shop) has lodging and an excellent guide service. Look them up on the internet, they post very honest fishing reports and would be a great source of information for your trip. Good luck withe the winter steel, should be a fun trip in a beautiful area...

BTW, if you like a quality brew, consider shooting over to Ludington and hitting:

http://www.jamesportbrewingcompany.com/

There is no good beer in Baldwin. I think it's about 1/2 hour to Ludington. We did their sampler and there was not a bad brew in the batch. I was particularly enamored with the Scottish Ale they had at that time.

This thread is really making me want to do a road trip in December. Maybe, just maybe.

As an Ohio guy who has gained tons of good info over the years on PA to use when i visit the inlaws in Valley Forge - this is a topic i can provide some information

Guide - Dave Roller is top notchas are his guides I have used him for years for steel and kings will be with him next week for salmon on the PM. Late season when you looking he often will run a two day special one day rate gets you two days on the boat

http://www.peremarquetteoutfitters.com/

Lodging - PM Lodge is good - last 3-4 trips i have used the Red Moose both the lodge itself and the cabin - the cabin is great for 4 guys sits back in the woods great place to be after the day is done.

Best food and drink we have found is at Barski's our guides turned us on to it a couple of years ago and it is worth stopping by.

http://www.barskim37.com/

If you want more info just let me know.

Thanks everybody for their inputs. I think we are going to go with PM outfitter and stay in Red Moose. Red Moose has some great review on Tripadvisor.

Back