Trip to PA

M

Mbangler92

Hello everyone!

I have been fly fishing for most of my 20s and my gf just surprised me with a trip to PA to do just that for my 30th! I have fly fished mostly for steelhead in western NY and have been wanting to get out and try for wild browns on dries.

We will be staying just east of Huntingdon this weekend and would love some tips on where to head to. I have done quite a bit of research on the class A streams, I’m just not sure what I could access legally. From being out of state, I want to be as respectful as possible to landowners and others. If possible a more remote stream would be a treat. The access for Kish, Tea, and Honey creeks sounds pretty manageable but might not want to fish around town all weekend.

I will be headed through state college area Friday morning and thought about stopping to fish before we check in at 4. A friend at my local orvis told me to stop by TCO fly shop and ask for Bryant, said he would help point me in the right direction.

Appreciate any input you all have! I have become familiar with the creeks in the area, but bear with me as I’m unfamiliar with crossroads etc. Just trying to narrow down my options so I make the most of my time when I’m there. Thanks!

Last edited:
When I do this I try to attempt 2-4 streams per day. Not sure how much time you have. I personally would prioritize the famous streams. They are famous for a reason. You are within 1hr 10min of many. Some may not be fishable.

1) George Harvey section of Spruce Creek
2) Little J
3) Penns Creek
4) Spring Creek
5) Big Fishing Creek
6) Bald Eagle Creek

Maybe hit a few small wild trout streams for an hour as you change locations and naturally drive past them. Your stamina and the patience of your GF will play into your time on the water. I personally love these trips (it’s like speed darting) but I generally do it alone since the pace is quick.

When I do this I try to attempt 2-4 streams per day. Not sure how much time you have. I personally would prioritize the famous streams. They are famous for a reason. You are within 1hr 10min of many. Some may not be fishable.

1) George Harvey section of Spruce Creek
2) Little J
3) Penns Creek
4) Spring Creek
5) Big Fishing Creek
6) Bald Eagle Creek

Maybe hit a few small wild trout streams for an hour as you change locations and naturally drive past them. Your stamina and the patience of your GF will play into your time on the water. I personally love these trips (it’s like speed darting) but I generally do it alone since the pace is quick.
Yeah that’s probably a good idea. I have pretty much all of Friday evening, all Saturday and Sunday till around 4. This will def Be putting my girlfriends fishing stamina to the test, but she’s down for exploring so figured that would keep things interesting. Ive hears great things about Penns, Little J, and Spring creek. Is there any resource that shows public access points?

Yeah that’s probably a good idea. I have pretty much all of Friday evening, all Saturday and Sunday till around 4. This will def Be putting my girlfriends fishing stamina to the test, but she’s down for exploring so figured that would keep things interesting. Ive hears great things about Penns, Little J, and Spring creek. Is there any resource that shows public access points?
Go to Spruce Creek Outfitters right at the bridge in Spruce Creek. Alan will get you to a good spot or two for the LJ.

Penns - a couple miles upstream or downstream of Coburn (downstream most popular). Talking to fly shop guys will be helpful.

Spring - good access but you might want to hit Fisherman Paradise…fished by all of the greats

Little J - since you’ll be at spruce creek early to get the first shot at a good spot (it’s a short project), when you are done there just go somewhere in the mile upstream of where spruce creek enters the Little J. Parking spots easy to locate. But you will easily find other locations.

For big trout water everyone is pretty much going to agree on Penns and the Little J. You will have zero problems finding access in either of those streams.

I think that small to medium sized streams are the real gems in PA but they are certainly less publicized and people are more tight lipped about locales.

For big trout water everyone is pretty much going to agree on Penns and the Little J. You will have zero problems finding access in either of those streams.

I think that small to medium sized streams are the real gems in PA but they are certainly less publicized and people are more tight lipped about locales.
Yeah I hear ya. I’ve gone over the map on the fish and boat site over and over this week. There’s some smaller streams I’ve located but can’t find much info on public access besides state gamelands. I kind of wanted to fish some smaller water, but might have to just go with the Little J to make the most of my time. That could change though, I’m still going to visit some local fly shops for info as well.

Back