Tricos

J

JohnPowers

A few thoughts. Maybe it's me but I used to do pretty well with just a black thread and poly wing spinner. I'd loose count of fish on the Monocacy. Did they catch on or am I slipping? The old spinner is no longer my ticket. I'm forced to use Als Trico which I hate but it works. Duns. I stood in front of Bob Miller up at somerset till I figured out that Wonder Wing he shows in the book but seeing it in person was the breakthrough. Its an elegant but not so durable wing. What are your thoughts on what they'll take as the season goes on? My old logs just show my results on the spinners. Maybe they got more/less pickey as the season goes on. As an aside, the other morning in the Valley I stood in a cloud of Tricos bigger than I've seen in years. That ultimately may be the story. Those mornings 25 years ago on the monocacy you couldn't throw a frizby in the creek without covering two dozen flies.

Although I like the Al's Trico, I've basically gone to a thread body, microfibbet tails and CDC tied in like an F Fly. For spinners, I just do poly wing.

For spinners, I have gone to dun colored snowshoe rabbit fur tied spent wing style for the wings. The trout always get tougher as the season wears on, but the "bunny trico" has produced well for me over years. I also downsize them to the right size but generally tie them on a #20 or #22 curved shank hook and I don't even mess with the tails. Thread body, bunny wings and just a wisp of black fine and dry dubbing around the wings for the prominent thorax. Very simple tie!

^^^ Ageee, very effective pattern.
I started using the Dun snowshoe hair for spinner wings the last couple seasons and find it to work very well tied on a TMC 101 #22-24 straight eye hook, as well as the TMC 2488.
After a bit of abuse, the wings tend to mat up, but I don't mind.
Some of my largest trout taken this season have been on the Sunken Trico pattern. A few white barbules for the tails, Black thread body, and Pearl Krystal-Flash for the wings sz16-20

I live about 5 hours from any good Trico water now, but from my obsessive persuit of them 16 years ago, I'll agree with what the gentlemen said. I like to dub the body with superfine. I was told about snowshoe hare for spinner wings. Seems counter intuitive. At times I used cellophane for wings, but that was the wrong way to go. Wings have always been the biggest issue with Tricos. Dan Buss turned me on to the Tiemco wide-gap bent shank hook. I used #24. Best for hook ups. there isn't any magic formual for Tricos, or we all would be using it! Well, I wouldn't. I don't have anywhere to fish Tricos anymore.

Syl

Back