Tricos??

thebassman

thebassman

Hey,

Been out of town for a while and am wondering when the Tricos on the LL are going to start falling? I cannot wait to hit the stream throwing those tiny bad boys!

Hi Steven - Hope you've been well.

The tricos have been pretty heavy on the LL for a while now. Reminds me of the "old days" of great trico hatches on the stream.

See you out there....

H.A.

JT in the cloud yesterday! Any questions about whether the tricos have started?

Attachments

• rsz_imgp0530.jpg
    rsz_imgp0530.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 5
Trikes! A BWO has worked well. Spring Creek, Benner Springs-- in the shade.

What time in the morning should one be there to catch it?

That picture was taken before 7AM, I believe.

If you get there by 6AM, you should be good. The spinnerfall was all but over by 9AM, so the earlier, the better.

Stake out a spot below some riffle water and be ready. Fishing the long flats is tough, because the fish get a good long look at your offering.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Stake out a spot below some riffle water and be ready. Fishing the long flats is tough, because the fish get a good long look at your offering.

Amen and be ready to defend it! That stream is worse than any stream I have ever fished. I really think with the exception of Fish N Chips, I may only ever do weekdays there in the future. We had a guy come in on the other side of the stream and start fishing (about 6 feet up too so he was spooking fish a bit downstream that another of us was fishing for by just being up there and moving around) for the very same fish we were targeting. Then we had a bunch of runners about to take a swim in a pool where we and 2 other guys were fishing. I said something to them and they decided to go elsewhere but the knucklehead on the other side kept on fishing. I wanted to go over and throw him in! Next time, I'll just sit back and throw rocks in the pool. If he don't want me to fish then I think its only fair that he not fish!

68 degrees

Foxgap239 wrote:
Next time, I'll just sit back and throw rocks in the pool.

I'd never dream of doing such a thing. :cool:

Not to worry - I'll take you to two spots where you'll rarely see another fisherman. That pool brings out the worst in people, and is another reason I don't like fishing there.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Foxgap239 wrote:
Next time, I'll just sit back and throw rocks in the pool.

I'd never dream of doing such a thing. :cool:

Fortunately you were there to keep me calm. I wanted to blast that guy so bad but I held my tongue. Although the runners/swimmers were the last straw! I couldn't hold my tongue there. I was hoping the other guy might take the hint but no avail there. We met a guy there Thursday who warned us about him but seeing is believing. He is going to **** off the wrong guy someday, just wait and see,

Why do you guys always fish where you do? You know what you are going to have to deal with. I always go in the area I am sure
H-A is going to show you. I particularly enjoy upstream from there. Better jogger hatch.

SBecker wrote:
Why do you guys always fish where you do? You know what you are going to have to deal with. I always go in the area I am sure
H-A is going to show you. I particularly enjoy upstream from there. Better jogger hatch.

Sometimes I need stuff hammered into my brain. It has now hammered hard enough to matter. :roll:

I am possibly up for my one and only trico outing of the year sometime this week. Need to cast that Superfine at least 1 time this year.

I can do this.

Man, it gets crazy for tricos there! I personally get frustrated with those tiny bugs. Rather fish sulphur hatch or zip streamers. That place does get packed. Love the guys that splash thier lines from the wall too...funny.

Thick thick trico hatch on the main perkiomen last weekend. Was on the creek by 630 or so and they picked up soon after that. Lasted til 9ish as well. Water was quite warm though and I didn't catch anything but a bunch of fallfish or chubs or whatever they are. Saw some larger splashes on the top but they weren't taking what I was throwing. Was still pretty cool to just be out there and witness it though. Between knoll and legion for reference.

Tricos should be good for Fish-n-chips, right?

Stagger_Lee wrote:
Tricos should be good for Fish-n-chips, right?

Yes. I'll have some cdc comparaduns for you.

Make sure you have a bottle of Frog's Fanny.

Will do H-A ... When fishing tricos, considering how small they are, how do you follow ur fly?

Giant magnifying glass. Like the ones on cartoons where the evil guy is creating a giant death beam.

Your eyes adjust and you begin to pick it up. You can use a larger fly and trail the trico, or just take a guess at where your fly is and if a rise happens in the area, set the hook.

Back