Trico Rod

S

surveyor06

Im thinking about putting a rod and reel combo together for trico fishing specifically. Looking at a 3 wt. Since this is going to be a specialty fly rod, im looking pretty cheap, but not junk. I have a Batenkill BBSII that im hoping to just get another spool loaded with 3wt line. You guys have any suggestions. Looking at 100 bucks for the rod, cheaper is better.

In my humble opinion, one of the best values for a lighter rod, for the price, is Cabela's Three Forks 7'6", 3 wt. I've been using this rod and a Battenkill reel as you described for the last 6 years and love the rig. Granted, the rod does not have a lifetime warranty, but at $50.00 (I got mine 6 years ago for $29.00 - a special), it's a good deal.

Dale

My trico rod is a 7'9" 2 weight, and I just love it for this kind of fishing.
I rarely have any need for long casts for tricos. My aging eyes would have a hard time seeing fish sip a tiny fly like that at distances over 30 feet anyway

Yeah Im not looking to make any hero cast, I usually fish the little lehigh and the tully for tricos, the tully being the widest of the two. I creep as close as I can to make my cast. I often find that the trout are concentrating on eating, and can be approached cautiously without spooking them.

I'm with dryflyguy I use a 7' 6" 2 weight more than any of my other rods if I plan on fishing the Trico hatch. The casts are short and presentation is much more important than distance. Good luck in your search.

I have a 7'9" 3wt that i bought at the LL fly shop and it works great for Tricos.

Tricos on LL and Tully I think 8' 3wt is perfect with 8' 4wt running close. The Winston WT is way out of your price range used but is amazing for delicate dry presentation. However, there is a huge difference between the 3 and 4 wt imo in both casting and fish handling, with the 4wt getting the nod.

I would probably want a med-fast action rod in this application. Cabelas has St Croix Rio Santos in 8' 4wt for $100.

Redington Rs4 7''6 4 wt :)...just go down to the swap threads and check it ou.t $115 and I will hand it to you personally

Sometimes you get what you pay for. 100+ for a reel and then want to skimp on the rod? IMO, I always buy the rod and then get a reel. I would go with the TQR, Glass or bamboo for trico's

Joe E

The reel I already own for a another rod. I want this rod specifically for tricos, so I cant justify spending a great deal of money on something that will not get used very often. The rod doesnt need to be a casting powerhouse, just something that that works well. Not in the market for bamboo, way to pricey. If im spending 800 plus on something, Im using more that 3 months out of the year.

Hi Andy - Strangely enough, I own most of the rods suggested in this thread. My Trico rod of choice for the LL is my 8' 6" Sage DS2 3wt. I like the extra reach compared to my shorter rods.

I also have the 7'6" Three Forks 3wt, and it's a really good rod for the money.

I prefer 4wts over 3wts, as I think they're much more versatile, especially with a little wind.

A 7'6" 4wt with a lifetime warranty is a great rod for brush busting some of the places you fish - Becker's RS4 would fit the bill nicely.

I'm cheap, I'd try the 3 forks first. It has a reputation for goodness.

I use a 7'6 3 wt. Orvis Superfine, but obviously that's way out of your price range. In the 100ish range, I'd recommend these :
Cabela's TQR : http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-TQR-Fly-Rods/712113.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dtqr%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=tqr&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

TFO Lefty Kreh Signature : http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/products/rods/signature.html

Or, Becker's RS4 would be well worth your money.

I have many light rods, because I think they're fun.

FWIW, as an all around rod, a 4wt is better than the lighter ones. If you already own a 5, maybe that's not enough of a drop? My 4wt 8' Versitex is damned near perfect for dry flies, wet flies, single light nymphs, and hopper dropper fishing. It is a perfect all around rod. You could probably build one of these for around your $100 price point.

Yet, I seek to replace it at every turn. It is also the benchmark.

I own the cheapest model LL Bean Quest 2. Its a 6'6" 3wt. With a 3DT lone taper line, its a bit to fast for me, but still highly accurate and very light landing. I also routinely fish it with a 4WFF line, and I find it slows it down and makes it easy to laser beam out a single fly. It is, however, too short for my general tastes. I think it was $70? After trying the new Ultra SL 9' 5wt, I'd be hard pressed to not try out their 3wt and 4wt rods.

I own a 7'6" Superfine 1wt. I love this rod, and used the hell out of it in the end of the summer, including the sole time I could be bothered to wake up for trico fishing. With the matched 1WFF Superfine Trout line, its accurate, fun, and it flexes to the bejesus which I find pleasing. Most people would probably find it to be to whippy and light. For anything other than a 14 dry and maybe a light dropper, its not gonna do you much good. Its also out of your price range, but I list it to help give you perspective.

I also own a 7'9" 3/4 McFarland glass rod. I'm still dialing in my feelings on this, but I do love the bend and action. I find that I'm struggling with really open loops on the long taper 4DT line I'm using, at least with multiple fly rigs. Trying a 4WFF GPX wasn't my style, it loaded too much for my pleasure, but did seem to exhibit the desire to stab rising fish in the eyeball with a size 16 fly, it was that accurate to me. Unfortuantly, wasn't a fan of the rod with that line otherwise, have yet to try a correct to AFTMA 4wt line on it, though. I picked this one up because of cosmetic damage for just outside your price range. Watching for used things might do you well here.

In the end, in my ever so humble opinion, I think an 8' 3 or 4 weight rod would be just about perfect. I'm willing to waffle by a half foot in either direction, however.

I'm a sucker for cheap. I wanted the 7'6" 3wt Three Forks, but my innate dislike of the Cabela's name on my toys turned me off (yes, I'm being shallow). It is certainly cheap enough. Since I'm talking about Cabela's stuff, I wiggled their 6'6" 4wt CGR rod yesterday, and it was magicial. At $99, it comes in at your price range, and I'm convinced these are gonna go down as cult classics.

The out of the box suggestion is a $20 Eagle Claw 3/4 6'6" rod. I have the 7' 5/6wt and love the carp out of it. You won't be throwing hero casts, but its cheap and a blast to use. It'll flex down to the cork, and fish on it are a ball, plus that soft action will protect the lighter tippets you will probably need to use.

Becker's RS4 is probably a decent all around rod, I'd certainly put line on and try it, but for my personal tastes, I can be pretty sure I wouldn't be interested. Again, YMMV.

I ended buying a 6'6" 2wt from whheff (Bill). Very nice rod and a very fair price. Cast very well, perfect for the little lehigh. Thanks again Bill.

Back