Travers Corners trilogy

R

rrt

Not many advantages of being sick, but one of them is reading. I just re-read the now 20-year-old trilogy of Travers Corners books by Scott Waldie. I must not have read them very carefully the first time I read them; I didn't remember much, which certainly made this reading of the books quite enjoyable.

I suppose some literati would criticize the books for Waldie's use of stock characters and caricatures. However, as I read the books, I found that I enjoyed his portrayal of different personality types, ranging from the quiet, taciturn hero to the wealthy Ted Turner-type snob who buys up streams and then posts them against public access by people who have fished them all their lives. These become believable characters in the books. There are a number of humorous "sexcapades" in the books, which might be inappropriate for young readers but that older readers might find pretty funny.

These are not fishing books, but they are certainly fly-fishing-related books with lots of enjoyable fly-fishing adventures. These are books of short stories that you can read at your leisure.

Though the books are now 20 years old, they are not out of date. If you can find them online or elsewhere, they are well worth the investment of money and the time you will spend reading them.

These are wonderful reads, and I highly recommend them to avid readers of not just fly-fishing books but to readers of fiction.

I think most people who like to read, esp those who like to read literature related to fly-fishing, will really like these three books.

Get well. I’ll have to try them, thanks.

Back