Traveling Trout Co. - Trout Towns

In case anyone wants to watch the one on Bellefonte....lol

Dear jifigz,

It's becoming the way of the world today. You either make money exploiting something, or you complain about the people doing it. I'll stay on the complaining side of the equation but there is nothing that is going to stop the exploiting side.

I will admit that I did watch the whole Williamsport Edition and I kind of enjoyed it. That was because I have some very good friends in Lycoming County and spent a lot of time in Billtown over the years.

Overall, I wish these people would go away but the old saying, "Wish in one hand and s*** in the other and see which one fills up first," is still valid.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

The Wellsboro one popped up in my algorithm right after that conversation on here. Did not watch.

Good thing I didn't mention my recent mind-blowingly awesome trips to downtown Youngstown, OH and all the wild trout there in that thread.

It's becoming the way of the world today. You either make money exploiting something, or you complain about the people doing it. I'll stay on the complaining side of the equation but there is nothing that is going to stop the exploiting side.
Is it actually profitable? He got 15 thousand views for the Bellefonte video. That's not very many. How much does YouTube pay him for that?

And consider all the costs and the time it would take to make a video like that.

I can't imagine how he would be in the black on that project. Am I missing something?

Is it actually profitable? He got 15 thousand views for the Bellefonte video. That's not very many. How much does YouTube pay him for that?

And consider all the costs and the time it would take to make a video like that.

I can't imagine how he would be in the black on that project. Am I missing something?
Dear troutbert,

I don't know if he is making money, but unless he is a trustafarian using mommy and daddy's money 15000 views is a whole lot more than one which is where he started.

People have made millions of dollars posting YouTube videos. Obviously, they had to have a bankroll somewhere, but they have managed to recover the start-up costs and then some.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Cringe AF, especially the voiceovers. I don't think I've made it to the actual fishing but once.

Last edited:
Troutbert wrote a book literally "spotburning" every creek in the entire state. This animosity against either is stupid.
I see a big difference between a book that you have to buy (limited copies) to read, than a basically free YT video at your fingertips, that literally anyone can view.

Dear troutbert,

I don't know if he is making money, but unless he is a trustafarian using mommy and daddy's money 15000 views is a whole lot more than one which is where he started.

People have made millions of dollars posting YouTube videos. Obviously, they had to have a bankroll somewhere, but they have managed to recover the start-up costs and then some.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)
All you need is a go pro or even a decent cell phone and your can start making YouTube videos. Maybe download some editing software

Many people already have everything they need to get started.

"Bankroll" and "startup" could be anywhere from $0 to a few hundred dollars.

That's what makes YouTube great, but also what makes individual YouTubers problematic. It is no big commitment to start creating and posting videos. There is no barrier to entry and no way of "keeping out the riff raff."

As for making money directly from videos, it's sort of like collecting interest, you need a lot of content to make that revenue stream significant and it also builds up over time as your old videos continue to be viewed, particularly if you continue to try to grow your "channel." There's also the idea of creating content in order to get your name out there and maybe get various sponsorships or other opportunities.

Last edited:
I don't like any type of spot burning, YouTube and books included.

But to point out the fly fishing hypocrisy - Lefty Kreh made a living exploiting fisheries, far and wide, for personal gain and now, to most fly fisherman, he's a saint. Hell he's even got a statue.

Back