Train Derailment in West Branch Delaware

acristickid wrote:
Where is the intake for the NYC water supply?

Would think they would do whatever is required since it the drinking water and the railroad or their insurance is gonna pay.

The spill is well down from the dam near Hale Eddy.

There is no intake anywhere on the River. Cannonsville Reservoir is connected to tunnels, pipes and aqueducts that supply NYC drinking water. There are a bunch of reservoirs in the system. Cannonsville is more of a backup to the other reservoirs. And it's my understanding it's water quality is not as high as some of the other reservoirs.

Here is how where the water from Cannonville gets moved to the other reservoirs:

Cannonsville has the largest drainage basin of all of the NYC reservoirs, being at 455 square miles (1178 km2). The reservoir's capacity is 95.7 billion US gallons (362,000,000 m3). This water flows over halfway through the reservoir to enter the 44-mile (71 km) West Delaware Tunnel in Tompkins, New York. Then it flows through the aqueduct into the Rondout Reservoir, where the water enters the 85-mile (137 km) Delaware Aqueduct.

The Delaware Aqueduct then continues through the West Branch Reservoir and the Kensico Reservoir in Westchester and Putnam counties north of the city. The aqueduct continues further south through the Hillview Reservoir in Yonkers, and then continues through The Bronx, Queens, and Brooklyn, eventually ending in Staten Island, providing New York City with about 50% of their drinking water.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/html/drinking_water/maplevels_wide.shtml

While the aqueduct topic has come up, they are supposed to be changing over to the new one shortly if they haven't already. Speculation was that they have been hoarding water this year for the change of aqueducts....just in case it leaked massively. I know the existing tunnels lose upwards of 50% of the water sent through them. Should mean that less water needs to be sent / more will be in the lakes / more could be released.

Seems that more fuel was spilled Saturday while trying to clean up

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.pressconnects.com/amp/971594002

And people bi*!?h about not want pipeline carrying fuel, well they are much safer.

There was a fishing report posted (by DRC I believe) that said anglers found trout feeding on olives.....in the fuel oil slicks. Almost made me chuckle. Best thing that could possibly happen, has. Lots of excess water in the lakes to release to dilute / flush the fuel oil out...and.... frequent rains to assist.

Bad news updates:
Balls Eddy was pretty severely damaged by the heavy rains. I got an report of a 4' trench between the ramp and parking lot. Houses along Balls Eddy Creek were sitting in feet of water for days.

Some roads had damage from the rains as well.

I'm guessing that the mouths of certain feeders are huge rock shoals and others have been gouged 15'. I'll also get some channels have been relocated by the heavy flows.

Good news is that Callicoon only reached a high temp of 62.5 degrees today and has been

August 15 and Pepacton is spilling. Mark that down because you may not see it again.

Is it just me or are the releases worse with the new flow plan? Not that it would have changed much with the rain we have had.

I agree. One of the emails from FUDR pointed out the same thing a little while back. It will be addressed with the powers that be during the next meeting. It was to provide more water and better thermal protection. If you look at mid June til late July, the flow was 50% of 'normal'. Not exactly what they sold us.

Yes the sub 400 release from cannonsville was brutal. Just found the email you're talking about. I wish they would up pepactons release as well.

The sub 400 release was based on a future rain forecast that allowed them to move down to table 4D and cut the release accordingly. We now see how accurate that forecast was. They are now operating at table 4G release. Their rainfall prediction algorithm is the problem and this should be addressed.

However FUDR is allowed to 'bank" water for the situation that occurred in early July when temps hit mid 90s. They did request and was granted a conservation release. It just not enough to constantly alleviate the problem and should have been requested earlier. However, they have a finite amount of water to be spread over several summer months. Looks like it won't be needed anytime soon.

No, they will run the release at 1500 on each branch until the day I get there. They will then drop it to 225 WB and 125 EB. The day after I leave to come home, the release will go back up. After October 15, the WB will alternate releases of 225 and 4000 for no explainable reason. LoL

Back