Toss those stockies

I trout fish in South Carolina a good bit and as suggested in the article, they helicopter stock some waters down there. Seems like the article was written by someone wanting to create an issue or controversy that's not an issue.

Idaho aerial plants trout but they're fingerlings so they drop a lot and know the survival rates. The joke is aim is more critical than height. Buckets are different. Not a big deal. I ask the PAFBC guy the first time I helped and he said it disorients them and makes them wander and spread out more but doesnt really harm them. Been doing it longer than me so I'll take his word for it.

I’m sure if your throwing them in shallow water and on rocks it will hurt.

Also I like to know who he talked to at the fish comm as I watched them stock and it sure wasn’t anything like that picture.

Read the last paragraph of the article. I can't wait for that take the thread over ....
““Additionally, as a biosecurity measure, by tossing the fish from the bucket above the water instead of a gentle pour, we try to keep our buckets from touching the water to prevent the spread of any aquatic plants or invasive species such as snails, from transferring from one water to another,” he said.”

BAAAAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHSHAHAHAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJJAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA WOULDN’T WANT ANY INVASIVE SPECIES GOING INTO OUR WATER WAYS…..BESIDES THE TROUT THEMSELVES.

Moral of the story don’t dip your buckets

““Additionally, as a biosecurity measure, by tossing the fish from the bucket above the water instead of a gentle pour, we try to keep our buckets from touching the water to prevent the spread of any aquatic plants or invasive species such as snails, from transferring from one water to another,” he said.”

BAAAAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHSHAHAHAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJJAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA WOULDN’T WANT ANY INVASIVE SPECIES GOING INTO OUR WATER WAYS…..BESIDES THE TROUT THEMSELVES.
View attachment 1641230311

Moral of the story don’t dip your buckets
Hey man.....Leave Ernie McCracken out of this.

It probably doesn't hurt them any more than being gut hooked, put on a stringer, and fileted, but I digress!

Fish commission could just be thinking ........Good throw kid! We have seen worse tosses......

Too soon?

Cliff Notes version- The Johnny Appleseed of invasive species gives advice on keeping buckets dry. The end.

I bet if they see someone volunteering to stock throwing trout and the rim of the bucket touches the water they are like….

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE S****** ME SON!!!!!! DID YOUR BUCKET JUST TOUCH THE WATER!?!?!?!

I've stocked for many years and tossing them in does work better - the gentle ease into the water does leave half of them belly up. That doesn't stop complaints though.

BTW, when asked this question hatchery staff always responded "We do all the work raising these fish so people can catch them. We are not going to kill the fish after taking care of them for a year."

Back