Top water stripers

1manwolfpack

What are some good top water patterns for stripers?

I think that it depends on where you are fishing. Way back in the 1980's I had a roommate who guided on the Delaware River(New Hope, PA- Trenton, NJ) for Striped Bass.

We would go out on the river at dusk and fish with Black Bombers, which were surface plugs that we would rip across the surface. They were at least 10" long. Stripers aren't lure shy. A small striper will nail a plug that size, and burn line off of your spinning reel.

I always had good success with anything on top in black and subsurface in white. I hope that helps you.

I talked to my former roommate several years ago at one of our former roommate's funeral and he told me that when he takes clients out on the river now, he uses the cut shad that he caught during the shad run for the later striper run.

Good advice from Canoetripper. ^

They're not picky. I recommend flies that are bright colored, big, and push a lot of water. Have a few in smaller sizes - think under 4 inches - for days when the wind is blowing and you want to cast further.

The Gartside Gurgler is a popular pattern. Most of my striper surface flies are poppers made with pre-fab bodies. White and yellow are proven colors.

Thanks guys. I tie up gurglers for smallies. What size would you recommend for stripers?

1manwolfpack wrote:
Thanks guys. I tie up gurglers for smallies. What size would you recommend for stripers?

Have 'em in lengths between about 3 - 7 inches.

Take some time to peruse the striper spin gear next time you're at a tackle shop. The plugs typically used in the surf are very big by trout fishermen's standards: typically about 7 inches; ditto metal and bucktails. If you're fishing an 8WT for schoolies, the smaller end of this size spectrum is fine most of the time.

White Deceivers (let's see who gets this reference).

SurfCowboyXX wrote:
White Deceivers (let's see who gets this reference).

All you ever talk about . A friend of mine Dan Shaffer insomniac guide service swears by white gurglers

Match the bait profile and you will be good.

In salt water, gurglers and Crease flies. White gurglers with pearl or holographic silver Estaz wrapped on the shanks. I use marabou instead of buck tail for the tail on them. I never really fished for them in fresh water but I'm assuming the same flies would work in fresh water. I think I'd add a large white Sneaky Pete style slider to the mix if there were shad in the lake or river.

Back