Top Streamers

Frederick.............Isn't that Foxee Minnow a Clouser off shoot or an evolved one , right before i got hurt i think i saw them in the shop in Middletown/Royalton and there was a floating minnow there too which looked interesting but that was the last time i was in the shop would have been the winter of 2002/003.

your right there osprey, the foxee is a variation of the clouser. the floating minnow works great for smallies.

I went and Googled it and checked out youtube and now i remember , this was an evolved process and the next one was supposed to be a floating version , how did that one turn out? Topwater streamers , the actions of those minnows getting chased that sort of skip across the top is what i think they were going for. On a float trip on the Juniata from Lewistown to Thompsontown we would float through and those minnows ahead of us would do that skipping thing , all you had to do was get a bait in the mass of skippers and wham and it didn't matter what really , i used a fly rod and regular chartreuse and white clousers and my buddy used spinning rod and fished with a POP-R we hammered small mouth all day doing that same thing. It seems a floating streamer would have been closer to an exact imitation of that activity. Streamers are something that must be considered if you want to round out your program overall and floating ones are something that interests me.

i like to use double bunnies with the tails tied not glued but short enough to where it doesnt foul around the hook i also use buggers and a clouser from time to time

1. Black conehead wooly bugger with pearl crystal flash. 2.Roman Moser baby brown trout. 3. Mickey Finn

On Kettle Creek in Potter county around the early 80's i had a great day with Mickey Finn streamers , we stopped at Baldacinos on the way to our camp and i asked the guy that was there about his favorite streamer as there had been rain and the water was up. He talked me into buying a half dozen of them 3 in size 12 and three in size 14 and gave me a little instruction on how to fish 'em and said they were great on the stocked brookies. We camped at the 144 bridge where the Special Regs section starts , it's called the Bunnell Pines camping area , primitive tent sites , beautifull place to camp. The next couple days i caught a ton of trout between the bridge and upstream through the SR section all nice 12-14 inch brookies. Back then we even cooked a couple in bacon grease over the fire with some leeks and taters on the side. Harry Chitister had dinner with us on that trip and that was the last time i ever saw him. Oh to be young again.

Mkern, I'd like to see that baby brook trout pattern

Could see the logic in trying to match a particular bait fish like an alewive getting blown out of a dam and fish keying in on the stunned bait fish but really isn't it more about the action?

Really have'nt noticed that much difference in reaction between a zoo cougar and a butt monkey.

Back to confidence I guess.

Butt Monkey - Ha !

Could see the logic in trying to match a particular bait fish like an alewive getting blown out of a dam and fish keying in on the stunned bait fish but really isn't it more about the action?

I couldn't agree more,Paul.
Back in the early 80s Dave Whitlock came out with a line of sculpin imitations-
Every fly fishing mag-raved about them as he was the darling at the time-
So I bought four dozen to get ready for the upcoming fall season.
They looked so real I was tempted to fry them up for lunch-
Ended up throwing them away-
They may have been okay for fishing out of a drift boat with short casts but a disaster for wade fishermen on big water.
Too bulky and too much hair that wanted to float-so you needed extra weight to get them down.
Couldn't cast them into the wind.
So ,while its fun to experiment,be leery of hot new ties until you have tried them-lol

What no love for crayfish patterns? I see people mention they use em with success for trout on here.

1.Bugger olive, brown and white
2.Clouser I'm experimenting with color combos
3 More Clousers

Here's a good on Carpin and streamer imitations (al la crayfish imitations)

http://flycarpin.blogspot.com/2011/01/mctages-mmf-clouser-clouser-foxee-redd.html

and a cool crawdad linky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_2Dw0Cg2vQ

Olive #8 Tungsten bead Bouface leech!!!! Stripped, twitched, dead drift. Deadly!!

I think they mistake a Wooly Bugger for crayfish at times but i didn't think a crayfish pattyern was a streamer........i don't know if it is or not.......are streamers=baitfish imitations or does it go beyond that ? like shrimp and crabs and leeches? and MICE heh

gfen wrote:
tracker12 wrote:
So we regularly see the top dry flys and nymphs. But how about streamers. If you were to have 3 streamers in your box. What would they be?

1) Clouser minnow.
2) More clouser minnows.
3) Whatever featherwing I saw last week I thought was really sweet will be represented several times over but never actually used because its not a clouser minnow so who cares?

Inevitably, there will come a time (ie, last Thursday through the weekend) where I really wish I had a wooly bugger* in the box, and I don't, but I do have an ample supply of clouser minnows.

I don't think you can go wrong with buggers and clousers, though. Olive and black for the former, green/white and brown/green for hte latter.

The Muddler minnow is supposed to be super useful, and used in a variety of ways. Its supposed to be good in murk and dark because the big head pushes water. You can supposedly grease it and fish it as a hopper up top. All I know is its too much work to tie and I don't make them.

Then again, I don't fish giant streamers, so the guys who are into the monster articulated jobs will laugh at the above.

* - It will have chain eyes.

What hook do you use on the trout clousers? I use the Mustad 3366 for smallmouth clousers (and just about every warmwater fly I tie), but for trout I use the TMC 200R (well, the J. Stockard 430 now, just as good and alot cheaper...), and was just wondering how another clousaholic adapts theirs to short-striking trout.

As to my favorite streamers, any of the Clouser baitfish patterns (darters,madtoms, minnows, fur-strip clousers, Foxxee Redd minnows, and a few super hair minnows for clear water), as well as the old standby Woolly Bugger, all you'll need for just about any fish in freshwater.

sniperfreak223 wrote:
What hook do you use on the trout clousers? I use the Mustad 3366 for smallmouth clousers (and just about every warmwater fly I tie), but for trout I use the TMC 200R (well, the J. Stockard 430 now, just as good and alot cheaper...), and was just wondering how another clousaholic adapts theirs to short-striking trout.

IMGP1575-sized.jpg

Those are 200R, but I don't like the curve. They do go small, though, and I've got mroe than a few tied in 18.

Someday I'll buy 9394.

Hornberg , olive bugger , char./white clouser

wetfly's list is exactly the order that i've caught the most on,but my favorites are hornberg,black ghost then mickey finn or red and white.

now if you don't count mickey finns or red and whites because they're bucktails,i'll take a gray ghost i guess.

i don't know why i don't really care for buggers.i've caught my biggest trout on them.

1.) Bugger in as many colors as possible
2.) Slumpbuster in olive, black, brown, and white
3.) Clouser in various colors

Dear sniperfreak,

For the Foxee's I usually use 200R's or the generic equivalent but I'll tie them on 3906B's and 3366's if those are what I have.

My biggest problem is finding a fox tail with long enough hair to tie them big enough. I've managed a couple of size 2's but that's about it for fox tail so I usually stick to size 4 or 6.

I found a couple of coyote tails at a trapper's gathering in NYS for like $ 3.00 a piece and they have much longer hair but not the color variety of a fox tail. I've messed around with some of the synthetic furs and they work OK but not quite as nicely as fox tail.

I'll tie the deer hair Clousers for trout up to 1/0 on 3366's, all white, all black, and all purple can bring some nice fish to hand.

Other than Clousers I'll use wooly buggers an both deer hair and wool lead sculpins.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Buggers
Butt Monkey
Clouser

JH

Back