Top 5 summer flies

A chartreuse adams would be a good caddis imitation...

SteveG wrote:
A chartreuse adams would be a good caddis imitation...

especially if you tyed it without the tail.

larkmark wrote:
Interesting reading the selections here.
One of my summer favorites is the green weenie with a wet ant trailer. Most times the fish take the wet ant but I feel the green weenie gets their attention. I fish it on a regular dry fly leader trimmed back to 4 or 5x. No indicator. Throw it along edges and in pockets. Super combo for me in low and clear summer conditions. I usually see a white mouth as the fish takes the fly. Try it.

Green weenie is certainly a classic summertime fly for trout and works wonderfully on my favorite streams.

To answer the WW equation of this question I'd go woolly bugger, Gurgler (yellow and black), clouser minnow, clouser crayfish, my own hellgie pattern, deceivers, bunny strips, Chernobyl ants, oh Lord, where to stop??? I love fishing for smallies and redbreasts and whatnot. Definitely my preferred fishing over trout..

jifigz wrote:
larkmark wrote:
Interesting reading the selections here.
One of my summer favorites is the green weenie with a wet ant trailer. Most times the fish take the wet ant but I feel the green weenie gets their attention. I fish it on a regular dry fly leader trimmed back to 4 or 5x. No indicator. Throw it along edges and in pockets. Super combo for me in low and clear summer conditions. I usually see a white mouth as the fish takes the fly. Try it.

Green weenie is certainly a classic summertime fly for trout and works wonderfully on my favorite streams.

To answer the WW equation of this question I'd go woolly bugger, Gurgler (yellow and black), clouser minnow, clouser crayfish, my own hellgie pattern, deceivers, bunny strips, Chernobyl ants, oh Lord, where to stop??? I love fishing for smallies and redbreasts and whatnot. Definitely my preferred fishing over trout..

Now we're talking I was wondering when a warm water guy was gonna show up ????

To that list I'll ad shumakers shimmering minnow, boogle bug in yellow and electric blue, murdich minnow. Of course we're gonna need good river conditions

To

Hers my Top 5 summer flies
1. Snakehead Stalker
2. Charmed dipper
3. Schmidter Bait
4. Snake Charmer
5. Snakehead Destroyer

Fredrick wrote:
1. Snakehead Stalker
2. Charmed dipper
3. Schmidter Bait
4. Snake Charmer
5. Snakehead Destroyer

Those aren't real flies You just made those names up.

After reading some of the comments about the Adams I think you could probably carry a box of Adams in a few body colors or even Griffiths Gnat style flies in a few different colors and sizes and catch a lot of fish. I have used a tan Adams and yellow Adams with good success over the years. Pink and bright green I never tried but will experiment soon.

larkmark wrote:
Fredrick wrote:
1. Snakehead Stalker
2. Charmed dipper
3. Schmidter Bait
4. Snake Charmer
5. Snakehead Destroyer

These are definitely real flies. I invented each one at my fly shop, Snakehead Palace, in Thailand. There we fish for giant snakeheads in a private pond. :-D

Just kidding Fred probably did make those up.

larkmark wrote:
Fredrick wrote:
1. Snakehead Stalker
2. Charmed dipper
3. Schmidter Bait
4. Snake Charmer
5. Snakehead Destroyer

Actually those flies are my own creations except for the Schmidter Bait . And they catch huge fish

My favorite summer trout fishing is for smallies and carp

For bass I like white zonkers and wooly buggers in black or white.
I tie all my streamers with a lot of weight built in.

jifigz wrote:
I agree. Yesterday I fished a Carbon county freestone (61F) and did VERY well with the "go to" green weenie, Both beadhead, and without. All I had with me were size 12's, but they still snatched them up with reckless abandon. I like the simplicity using them. :-D

I have the green weenies, but only use them as a last resort. I know they work and could catch fish at will on them, but for this time of year, I just gotta go dries- terrestrials to be exact. I love plopping beetles, bees, and ants behind visible fish and along streamside vegetation and waiting for the explosion.

Wild_Trouter wrote:
I have the green weenies, but only use them as a last resort. I know they work and could catch fish at will on them, but for this time of year, I just gotta go dries- terrestrials to be exact. I love plopping beetles, bees, and ants behind visible fish and along streamside vegetation and waiting for the explosion.

Fish green inchworm patterns with the same "plopping" technique as you fish the other terrestrials (beetles, ants, crickets, hoppers.)

Dwight- This is true. I remember fishing Clarks Creek a long time ago when inchworms were falling from the trees and it was lethal. I tied them in chartreuse green deerhair and using the green foam cylinders put out by Skilton.

1. GRIFFITHS GNAT SIZE 14-20
2. GSS EMERGER SIZE 12-24
3. ZEBRA MIDGE BLACK/OLIVE/RED/GREY SIZE 18-24
4. HOPPER SIZE 10
5. PHEASANT TAIL/PHEASANT TAIL VARIATIONS SIZE 14-22

Every year my list is a little different.
So far 2019 it would be

X and Elk Hair Caddis
Adams
Ausable Wulff
Ants and Beetles
PMX (Yellow Bodied)
Female Trico Spinner #22-26.

And of course the G.Weenie. The dry version I like Harvey’s Clipped Hair Inchworm patten tied with chartreuse deer hair.

Back