Top 5 Bass flies?

Im telling you, they just dont work for me. For example, I was fishing a local stream on Sunday for smallmouth. I was fishing my last clouser in my box(size 2 olive over white) and had 5 fish for the day. The 5th fish somehow tore out the olive tuft of deer hair, so I was left with half a clouser of krystal flash and white dear hair. I decided to try a black bugger, maybe size 6? 10 casts....nothing. Switched back to the wounded clouser and caught 6 more fish. I cant say Im unhappy the bugger doesnt work for me, because I hate tying the pattern. I am just not a fan of marabou, it gets everywhere and having dye on your fingers cant be good for your digestive health.

i agree. the wb leaves me unimpressed.

i put no faith in it, ergo the magic of the thing isn't powered and the fly fails.

To OP in particular, TU meeting last night was on fishing for SMB on Skuke in Berks. #1 fly was white maribou tail with crystal white estz body. Appeared to be tied on a size 4 or so. Also, chartreuse in the same pattern.

Like a tube jig. Same fly is used (with & without) red dumbell, bead chain or black plastic eyes for snook, esp. on the beaches.
jdaddy wrote:
To OP in particular, TU meeting last night was on fishing for SMB on Skuke in Berks. #1 fly was white maribou tail with crystal white estz body. Appeared to be tied on a size 4 or so. Also, chartreuse in the same pattern.

Like a tube jig. Same fly is used (with & without) red dumbell, bead chain or black plastic eyes for snook, esp. on the beaches. It's a great fly! :pint:

jdaddy wrote:

Sparkle Grub :) I carry them in chartreuse, white, olive, tan, rootbeer and yellow. They're great...also work well on catfish.

Just keep it simple! I use a white deer hair popper 99% of the time. Stick with one fly and vary the retrieve strategy. I find that this is more important. Some like it fast; some like a dead drift; some like a pop, pop, pause.

I just got into fishing for bass (mostly smallies) seriously this year, and my anecdotal evidence is as follows:

1. Bead Head Wooly Bugger (mostly olive, but had success with white and black
2. My twist on the Clouser Swimming Nymph in olive
3. Poppers - I have a bunch of Betts poppers left from a gift set from 2 years ago that I have been tearing fish up with - any color will do if the fish are looking up...white, green, yellow, black
4. Murray's Maruader - black and white, bead head
5. Clousers in any form - I tie something like others have said, with all marabou and some flash...white and chartreuse mostly

cork popper, mouse, crayfish imitation, hellgramite imitation, marabou streamer

1. muddler minnow
2. wooly bugger.
3. cork popper.
4.deer fur frog/mouse
5.clouser.

small or largemouth bass. clouser better in movin water i think.

Back