Took Afish's advice

R

rrt

Last year, I was seeking a back-up for my 7' 5-wt., and I got an Aetos, which folks on this forum advised me to get. However, Afishinado suggested that I "treat myself to an Art Weiler fly rod." So, I saved my money for months, and I recently ordered one. It arrived today. It is a gorgeous piece of craftsmanship; and although it is almost too wonderful to use the way I abuse rods, I hope to make it my "go to" rod for small stream fly-fishing, for both nymph fishing and also for dry-fly fishing. At 72, I imagine the rod will outlast me. Over the years I have found that it is how you fish that produces the most satisfaction with fly-fishing, at least for me.

So, thanks, Afish, though I am somewhat poorer than I was a month ago!

Art makes a nice rod. I hope it is your go to rod. What taper did you get and a picture of your new baby would be nice 😀

Art reconditioned my grandfather's made in 1964 Orvis Battenkill bamboo fly rod and did a great job.

Last year, I was seeking a back-up for my 7' 5-wt., and I got an Aetos, which folks on this forum advised me to get. However, Afishinado suggested that I "treat myself to an Art Weiler fly rod." So, I saved my money for months, and I recently ordered one. It arrived today. It is a gorgeous piece of craftsmanship; and although it is almost too wonderful to use the way I abuse rods, I hope to make it my "go to" rod for small stream fly-fishing, for both nymph fishing and also for dry-fly fishing. At 72, I imagine the rod will outlast me. Over the years I have found that it is how you fish that produces the most satisfaction with fly-fishing, at least for me.

So, thanks, Afish, though I am somewhat poorer than I was a month ago!
Nice! Good luck with that rod.

Joe -- It is a "Small Stream Special." It is to have a stiffer tip than a usual rod. (I don't know how to post pics on here, but if you go to Art Weiler's website, I think you can find it.) It is flame-tempered and alternates light and dark markings of bamboo. It really is almost too lovely to risk on the streams I fish, but I am going to anyhow.

Also possibly of interest: I got gfoldec's 8.5", 5-wt used Sage XP this week, too. I had one once, but the guy I got it from wanted it back for his father who had been recovering from surgery, so I traded it back to him I had been looking for another. So, when I saw the one he had on here, I got it (after persuading myself for more than a week that I had to have it). I plan to use it on larger streams. gfoldec (I suppose I'm not spelling that correctly) is an even more enthusiastic fly-fisherman than I am (and I am considered eccentric by some around me), and he is a real gentleman. I hope that rod has a lot of trout left in it for me.

Anyhow, after getting these two rods, my wife has "suggested" that I will never need another. At 72, I imagine she is correct, especially if I want to maintain a "happy home."

She will forgive you 😬. I always tell people if you get only one bamboo rods get one the you will use 90 percent of the time and fish the heck out of it, not a niche rod. Enjoy it!

Back