Too Many Forums or Not Enough?

I'm still leaning towards the "leave it be" category but perhaps, in addition to an Out of State forum, maybe we need a forum for steelhead. There is a tremendous amount of interest in steelhead and some PAFF members seem to be interested primarily or entirely in this subject. A separate steelhead forum would pull out probably at least 25% of the material in the General Forum and Stream Reports.

I am not sure if this would work on this website or not, but I was thinking it would be a good idea to add a rating/review section for various rods, reels, vices, waders, or any other type of fly fishing equipment that the PAFF community owns or may have used in the past.

There are so many times that people will ask opinions on gear from the users on this website and it may be a good idea to be able to organize this information more efficiently. Users would be able to see posted reviews on equipment all in one section. This could work like most of the large retailers use on their website for reviewing products that customers wish to purchase online.

For example, there could be a section on fly rods with a listing of manufacturers and individual models. All members of this site could leave a detailed description and rate certain aspects of the rods that they like or dislike.

This data could be added and modified by all the users on this site over time and the database would grow exponentially. This info could also draw web-surfers from the search engines to read our thorough and insightful product reviews.

Sound feasible? any opinions?

All of the posts on here are a part of a vast database. There are search and sort functions that will allow a user to do, more or less, what you are asking. The process of organizing posts into useful groupings ultimately must fall somewhat on the users.

There are two sides to this coin:

Regarding gear reviews, someone who wished to solicit a review should make sure the thread title is something like "Sage XPS, 3 weight and above" rather than "Need opinions on a rod."

Anyone posting an unsolicited review could use a title such as "Sage XPS Review," or "Review: Sage XPS, St. Croix Avid and Orvis Zero Gravity," or just "Sage."

The second side of the coin is the person seeking a review. They would use the search and sort functions to find all posts with "Sage XPS" in the title or appearing anywhere in the post. This would result in a sorting of the entire database to extract only those posts where the searched item is mentioned.

A specific "Review" forum, in my opinion, would encourage review spamming and advertisements in the guise of reviews. I would suspect we would see a proliferation of gear reviews from new users.

In the past, people looking for opinions on specific gear items have used the Gear Forum and simply asked about the item they were researching. The process seems to have worked so far. I advise everyone to become familiar with the search and sort functions. It is a very helpful feature that allows users to "customize" their viewing of posts to their particular tastes.

Would really like to see a Trivia forum the education/learning factor is why , when i had my accident yahoo still had live chat rooms , the patriot act did away with all that but anyhow , they had a disabled chat room which provided me with an unlimited source of information about limb loss and amputation , they also had a trivia chat room that went on 24/7 and was just unbelievable informative , seems like you learn so much more when it's in the form of a game as compared to classroom format. I could only vote once but if i could have i would have voted for both of the last two choices , the readers forum doesn't get used much and the tips and tricks also , maybe just adding would be the best , please consider this 'cause i think you would be pleasantly surprised with the results.

Little change i think....
Randoms don't see the OT Jam Forum i think likewise with Stream Reports and locations. ALso a forum for Pictures of step by step patterns or critque of tying, granted you could put them in Fly tying but, they can be seperated IMO. Also cutting Stream Report up a little. trout Stream reports, Warm water (Lakes/Rivers), In state, out of state.
I don't know how you would but, there is an example of the different angles involved. Other than that this Forum is awsome.

Back