To tie or not to tie

M

melvinp

Ive been told that i need to step away from the bench but im having a hard time deal with it.There are so many different patterns to try,From wet flies for callie and gills to boogers and zonkers for smallies,To wild and crazy for salmon and steel.My local fly shop owner is getting close to being a member of the family.What do you do when the snow flies.

I plan on tying, building rods, making booze, and maybe writing a little software this winter.

No need to stop. If it makes you happy, tie away.

What kind of booze.

When the snow flies, I fish when I can but "fishing" time is generally spent at the bench or reading fishing related books and planning for the upcoming season.

I haven't got into rod building, primarily because I don't have the space to do it. It is something that I hope to do one day.

If you like to tie, then stick with it.

Beer, wine, apple jack. Might try to distill.

my next door neighbor bought some grape vine from internet three winters ago, and this summer, he made the first batch of his own wine....I have to say it is much better than bottles in the liquor shop. I am thinking to do that next summer since my gardening wasn't thrilling for me enough. :pint:

and learning to tie a fly as well.lol

I drink and chase wimmins. You old guys are boring!

JayL.......At the Somerset county timber festival in Confluence i believe , there is a demonstration , legal , every year , you might pick up a few pointers or jars heh.

Melvin right now I am putting my materials in order and taking inverntory. I have wings to pair up and spray I am sorting my stuff that needs bleached and the stuff I am going to dye so when it gets cold and snowy I will have everything ready to tie.I am also hunting for a little more squirrel and rabbits for the meat and the hides. Hoping to get a crow or two and perhaps a fox if I am lucky. I have a little more wood to cut and stack so my shop will be warm when I am over tying. so I have lots to do maybe too much....

I will fish every chance I get. If the weather is bad and I can't fish I will watch some of my videos on tying and tie some stuff for spring.

I will also help with our TU chapter tying classes when they start again.

When I first started tying I was in college. I used to spend the month between semesters tying from about 9 at night until about 2 in the morning.

This is when my skills really improved. I also "invented" many creations, some stuck in my box, most didn't and have been given away to kids.

However, now my back gets tired after about 2 hours.

I often just sit at my desk and day dream.

Fred: Which patterns call for crow feathers?

JayL: I was happy to hear about your wine. I grow grapes and make wine too. I also buy apples from the Amish and make apple wine. Cortland works well.

Rejoice in thy youth if you tie. The more magnification I have to add to see to tie, the less I like doing it. At this point, if I could trade my materials and tools for flies, I would. I frankly think I would have a better fly selection if I bought them instead of tying my own. Ten years ago I would have said the opposite. That is not just because of deteriorating eyesight. There are so many great tiers doing custom work, easily accessible on the internet, that shopping for flies is very reasonble in terms of price, variety and even turnaround time to get them.

Now some doubletalk. I still think it is a good idea to learn how to tie and do at least some tying, even if you will mostly buy flies. Chances are you will come up with at least a few patterns that you tie very well, and that you use to catch fish. There does seem to be some extra satisfaction to catch on what you tied vs. what you bought, though certainly you can enjoy flyfishing without tying, and some who don't tie are better fishermen than many of us who do.

Now for some tripletalk. My tying picks up quite a bit during the cold of winter, and besides just filling some holes in the flybox, I pretend to search for the holy grail in tying material with that mystical, magical property that a fussy trout can't refuse. For example, I have never dubbed with real seal's fur (I am aware of the seal's fur substitutes), which as a material seems to be esteemed in the UK in the same manner that sparkle yarn is in the U.S.

Of course there's no such thing as a holy grail in tying. Or is there?

Lots of patterns call for Indian Crow, but I'm pretty sure Fred's not out there picking off endangered species in the subcontitent.

I imagine crow primaries make quill wrings, and the body feathers make decent soft hackles, like a starling but bigger.

Oh, forgot to say...you can still get seal fur in Canada, the UK, and AUS so I imagine its not too hard to get into America, and its not that its actually endangered or even threatened species.

Polar bear, on the other hand, is.

I'd like to get some seal fur, and have briefly looked into it.

tups gfen was correct I use them for wings and soft hackles on anything that calls for black material. Just off the top of my head a prince gnat calls for a crow feathered wing. I am still practicing tying wings on wet flies with dubbed bodies so I have been going through lots of wing materials trying to get them perfect. I am using anything I can get a hold of right now for practice so a few crows will put lots of wings on the tying bench.I hope I dont have to head to the subcontinent for winging material although I could use the vacation.

Quill wings look great, but to be honest, they end up looking no different from rolled wings after you fish them for about 5 minutes.

If you're tying for presentation or to impress the ladies streamside, then go for the matched quills..but if you're fishing them, just roll some mallard.

If I got caught trying to impress the ladies steamside my wife would end my fishing and lots of other things forever. I love to tie and I would like to use all the techniques that go along with it. I am slowly working my way through all the processes that go along with tying every kind of fly. I am over at sandflys shop whenever I get the chance to get advice and step by step procedures. He has been great with helping me. I hope to someday be able to tie like he does. but I dont know if I have enough time or patience to do it. I love trying to make really nice looking flies.

Tups wrote:

JayL: I was happy to hear about your wine. I grow grapes and make wine too. I also buy apples from the Amish and make apple wine. Cortland works well.

I am very new to it. I usually make apple wine with cider from zern's farmer's market. We'll have to compare notes some time.

jayL wrote:
Tups wrote:

I am very new to it. I usually make apple wine with cider from zern's farmer's market. We'll have to compare notes some time.

How did you guys do today?

Back