To fish or not to fish? That is the question.

JimKennedy

JimKennedy

Fellow anglers,

Between the mass of fishing tackle my dad left when he fished around the bend, plus my stuff and my son’s rods, we probably have an inventory of about 70 to 80 fly rods (plus another 65 or more spinning rods).

Addiction is a big issue in my clan.

I’m seeking some insight and guidance with regard to a few special rods:

There’s a Shakespeare wonder rod that my dad inherited from one of a few great men who taught him to fish (a carpenter from hazleton named Charlie Haiber). The old man fished with it until I was in my early teens. He restored it to museum quality and I pulled in my first brookies on it. To me, it is a priceless artifact.

The second is a Kingfisher bamboo, again lovingly restored by my dad and a rod he inherited from another of his fishing mentors, Byron Hill, a music teacher in Carbon county who fished dry flies exclusively and also enjoyed hunting groundhog with his custom .219 Zipper.

The third is a bamboo from Montgomery Wards dating to the early 1900s and bequeathed by a great great grandfather of mine. Again it was lovingly restored by my dad to museum quality.

The old man fished with all three after his restoration projects.

None of them is worth more than about 300 on the open market, but all are priceless in sentimental value.

After my passing in hopefully 25 to 35 years, all three rods are likely to be of little interest to society, or my descendants.

If you were in my spot, would you fish with these rods?

Fish those rods in memory of those that left them to you.

Hell yes. I had an uncle that passed. Before he passed, he told me of the rods of my grandfather he had. He rarely fished them. He was a spinner. But he passed and my cousin ended up with them. Not sure he even fishes. I asked to see them. Just wanted to know how my grandfather fished. He emigrated from Denmark and was a known flyfisher in his lifetime. Never even suggested I wanted any of the gear. Just wanted to know. Still bugs me. Fish it. Own it. Understand it. Enjoy it.

Fish them. GG

I have all of my father's and grandfather's fly rods and fish with three of them. One of those is an Orvis Battenkill bamboo fly rod that I had professionally restored. Orvis built it in 1964.

Definitely fish them.

Back