Tips for dry fly wings?

DGC wrote:
We discussed wulff winging and this video a while back. I checked and the video is still there. If you look at the playlist below it, the next video shows Talleur using hen hackle tips to wing a dry fly.

Talleur Wulff Style Winging

These are old school object lessons in tying.

Caveat. Note the hackling technique does not have the advantage of today's super saddles where there is far less waste from a feather. But for less dense hackles, his suggestions remain relevant.

Personally, I don't like hen hackle tip wings. They look great on the vise, but mat too much on the water. Burnt wings would solve that to some extent, but that is another topic and I don't do burnt wings.
Since I use a lot of Wulff style flies it is always important to improve my tying with new to me techniques. Thanks for posting the video.
As for tying the tips in toward the front or back, I've tried it both ways, but learn to tie in the tips toward the front. Tying the tip to the front is easier for me.

So this is an old thread but I have a question about this. I'm pretty new to tying and have a very nice Grizzly saddle I'm using to tie Adams flys. My question is I'm using the hackle tips for the wings and love the way they look the problem is if I'm getting 3,4, or more flies per feather what do I use for wings? I have actually taken so of the small hackle and used scissors to round off the end to look like a tip but I don't feel as though that is the proper way. Any help would be great guys. Thanks in advance.

Nathan

Hen feathers are rounded and are used for hackle tip wings (see pic below).

Hen necks are pretty cheap. If you tie a lot of adams patterns, you may want to consider getting one.

Attachments

• hen neck.jpg
    hen neck.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 3
Back