Tippit rings

Jessed

Jessed

Has anyone ever used tippit rings? I was thinking about trying them out. It seems like a very easy way of getting rid of all the knots out of putting tippit on ( we all know how frustrating that can be when it's freezing out). The only thing is i think they might be heavy making it harder for me to detect or feel strikes nymphing.

Tried them once, didn't like them. Using a ring didn't seem to solve a problem for me. I mostly fish a pair of wet flies. I tie my tippet to the leader with a blood knot and tie a short dropper above that knot using a clinch knot. On the other hand I don't fish when the air temp is below freezing.

I like them. The only time I don't use them is when I'm dry fly fishing.

Jessed wrote:
Has anyone ever used tippit rings? I was thinking about trying them out. It seems like a very easy way of getting rid of all the knots out of putting tippit on ( we all know how frustrating that can be when it's freezing out). The only thing is i think they might be heavy making it harder for me to detect or feel strikes nymphing.

You wont notice any problems with strike detection or weight, the 2mm rings are almost exactly the same size as a blood knot. I use them at the sighter section of my nymphing rig, I run 9' of tapered knot less leader to a tippet ring, then run my sighter, then 5' tippet to my point fly. Then when I want to throw a dry dropper or dry fly i just remove the sighter/tippet section @ the tippet ring and taper down to 6x from the ring.. I absolutely love it for that reason, it allows me to run a long line nymphing rig and dry flys with one tapered butt section without chopping into my tapered butt section every time with knots.

I use 2mm rings on all the furled leaders I make. As stated, they arent much larger than blood knot.

I use them regularly and haven't had any issues with strike detection floating ability with dries etc.

On tapered leaders, cut about 14 inches off tie in a tippet ring and reattach the cut off portion. Leaders last much longer!

I just started playing around with them. They are so small it doesn't seem like they would make a difference for the worse. Thanks for the good camparison to a bloodknot as mentioned above. Makes sense.

Thanks guys! I'll try them out!

Just a heads up, I found even smaller 1.5mm rings here:

http://www.tacticalflyfisher.com/fly-fishing/tactical-fly-fisher-15-mm-tippet-rings

I never used 1.5mm rings, but they might even be smaller than a blood knot, i know 2mm rings are just slightly bigger so maybe give these a shot if your that worried about size.

Check out ebay,100 TIPPET RINGS / BULK PACK your choice 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3,. I paid 20.00 for a hundred shipped.

ralphs007 wrote:
Check out ebay,100 TIPPET RINGS / BULK PACK your choice 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3,. I paid 20.00 for a hundred shipped.

Nice man, good deal

This is the seller I bought mine from. http://www.ebay.com/itm/222161667805?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Awesome! How do they do strength wise? Since they are so small do they break or bend like super thin hooks?

I use the 1.5 and 2mm and never had one fail.

NewSal wrote:
Just a heads up, I found even smaller 1.5mm rings here:

http://www.tacticalflyfisher.com/fly-fishing/tactical-fly-fisher-15-mm-tippet-rings

I never used 1.5mm rings, but they might even be smaller than a blood knot, i know 2mm rings are just slightly bigger so maybe give these a shot if your that worried about size.

This is what I use, the 1.5mm. I haven't noticed a difference floating dries with it, and it makes it a lot quicker to tie on tippet and get back to fishing for me.

I think tippet rings are great. They can make a leader last a very, very long time because you never have to lose any leader length when you add more tippet. I haven't noticed any problems fishing with dry flies with them or anything. I've never had a big strong smallie or any fish break one for that matter. I quit using them just because I don't have any and just have been using the double surgeon knot. But, personally, I like them.

ralphs007 wrote:

That's a freaking lifetime supply! :lol:

I just added 2mm rings to my set-up. Haven't had it out yet though. As stated before. Leader, tippet ring, sighted line, tippet ring, tippet. Shouldn't have to replace a leader for a while, I hope!

FlyGuyGlen wrote:
ralphs007 wrote:

That's a freaking lifetime supply! :lol:

I just added 2mm rings to my set-up. Haven't had it out yet though. As stated before. Leader, tippet ring, sighted line, tippet ring, tippet. Shouldn't have to replace a leader for a while, I hope!

I have had terrible luck with tippet rings from ebay. The ones I bought were from an auction that suggested they were from Climax Fly Lines. I could not get knots to hold on them. They seemed to cut any tippet or leader material I tied to them. Close inspection showed that they were flat with almost no smoothing or rounding to the edges, almost like they were stamped out of metal sheet. Coincidentally, carp fisherman use "rig rings" which IMO are identical to the ebay rings, but they are not marketed for the same sort of use as tippet rings. The "rig rings" are not meant to connect two sections of line which will come under any significant tension.

in comparison, I have had good luck with Anglers Image tippet rings, and will continue to buy them.

Jessed wrote:
Awesome! How do they do strength wise? Since they are so small do they break or bend like super thin hooks?

I have yet to have an Angler Image branded ring fail. I use them when building indicator rigs as a connection between a 20lb+ butt section and 8-12lb mono or fluoro. This set up has stood up to countless trout, bass, and steelhead.

The rings makes for very easy connections between dissimilar sized materials and the butts would last forever If I wanted them to.

I also use them on either end of mono sighters. Again, it makes for easy connections between mismatched materials and the sighters last forever.

I like them. Been using them with furled leaders for a few seasons and I can't see any negatives about them yet.

Back