Tipping a guide...

The report today was sluggish fish! It was still a great day but there were virtually no bugs popping up which even puzzled the guide. Oh and it was HOT...

All the people we talked to, including Joe in another boat, had a super slow day.

Most importantly though, I learned a lot of great tips, found out that I suck at some stuff and could/need to improve, but moreso, had a lot of fun!

Which section did you float? It does take a couple of days to catch a good one up there. One of the many factors that makes it tough up there.

You should have dropped the hammer in that section if you nymphed at all or blind cast iso. No hatch at dusk? Did you have any success?

I floated with stimey the other week and hooked 9-10 in the short section between balls and methodist on nymphs. Get a toon and join us one of these times. I'll find a way to get you hooked up with fish.

There were really no bugs hatching at all until right at dark and even then, fish were only sipping...in fact the guide called others on the river who experienced the same/similar to us. One guy I talked to got one at twilight on a size 22 bwo emerger at 45 feet. My guide said it was one of the slowest days on the river he has seen in a LONG time. Guess that's my luck as always. I want to join you guys some time. And by the way, I suck at nymphing and mending so that could have been part of my problem earlier in the day.

If you had pseudo hatch or "the fisherman's curse" on the water....that can get ugly. Just keep shrinking your rusty until you reach #20-22. If nothing takes, go to #8, 2xl and shock them into taking. LOL. For the record, I suck at nymphing or fishing in general. Will them into the net!! :-D

IMHO the Delaware has a way of magnifying your short comings as a fly fisher. The fish can be very demanding, as can the conditions. That being said, they are just fish and they can be caught.

Bright hot sunny days are generally slow anywhere. So if was just an off day condition-wise.

If you can identify some things that you need to improve, you will do better next time. And if you can, fish with Krayfish. You still may not catch any fish, but you can learn a lot!

I've used a #8 Royal Wulff on the 'D' when all else failed and caught fish.

Can you provide video proof of that?

Can you provide video proof of the 10 you caught before Methodist? Lol

Chaz wrote:
I've used a #8 Royal Wulff on the 'D' when all else failed and caught fish.

Traditional zig when everyone is zagging. I completely agree. Big streamers during green drakes. Chunky ants during tricos. It often works.

$100 per float. Split it up between boaters. Pay it yourself.

Wade trip I am good at $50.

Tip what you think the guide deserves. Most guides on the Upper D are very good. Rowing from Indian Country to Shehawken in the pooring rain aint cheap....

On an ideal day where the guide has to not put in any "extra" effort, no tip.

Complete SNAFU - TARFU - FUBAR of a day where the guide went above and beyond to make sure you got the experience without the pains and struggles? Tip accordingly.

I think that your rehiring the guide or sending customers their way is tip enough.

EDIT: I just realized that I wrote this opinion from the view of the guide. I ALWAYS tip people who make my life easier.

Back