tippet rings

CRB wrote: Any one have a simple knot tricks?

I always hold either the ring or the line with hemostats, but easier to control.

Speaking of tippet rings, I need to order more as Ive lost mine as some point...

The ones I have come on a clip so you can tie your knot onto the ring while on the clip and then slide it off. No more worries about losing them or trying to hold them and tie a knot.

ryguyfi wrote:
The ones I have come on a clip so you can tie your knot onto the ring while on the clip and then slide it off. No more worries about losing them or trying to hold them and tie a knot.
x2 A lesson I learned the hard way! :-x I don't drop any now.

If you don't have the clip, a safety pin is a good sub.

I fish tippet rings all the time now. Saves the life of the leader tremendously and it doesn't seem to have an effect on dry flies.

joebamboo wrote:
The Davy knot is the smallest knot one can tie and it is very easy once you get the hang of it. Perfect for tying on the tippet ring and the flies.

http://www.animatedknots.com/davy/#ScrollPoint

I have never tried this knot before today, so simple to tie...I like it. How strong os it?

going to try with hemostats. It is the twisting that I have trouble with. That knot looks promising too. Thank you

Use the Davy knot. easy and very small.

Does anybody know the strength percentage of a davey knot ? I am a davey wotton fan,but that knot seems to easy to be true.

oh,wait,when i clicked on the animated knot link from above, i found that the double davy knot is even stronger. i will try that.

I have never had a Davy knot failure. Can't say the same for a clinch knot though.

I've been using tippet rings for the past 9 years & love them. I use the 16/20 not for all my connections, using my hemostats to spin the loop around the standing line 3-4 times, and to grab the tag end.

I use them on all my poly leaders. It is a lot cheaper than buying $12 poly leaders. I also use swivels for streames too.

update I've been using the Davy knot much easier to tie to the ring IMO. Kinda like the rings except at dusk.

Not to discount the usefulness of tippet rings, but I have buying leaders for years and just knocking a couple (sometime a few feet off the end) and tying a perfection loop on the end. Same principle but free and just as simple. Possibly not quite as strong but you can go loop to loop as well. I almost never break off fish at the connection though sometimes a snag will do it.

This is amazing. Why hadn't I thought to try this before? This will make things so much easier...Thanks!

So I have another question regarding tippet rings (Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I felt it was more useful than starting a new one).

What's keeping me from tying off two pieces of tippet to the tippet ring - one short and and longer - to function as my dropper/point flies? I'm trying to get away from tying off of the bend of the hook and I've used the Humphrey's/Daniels method of using the short tag from a blood knot. However, I found that I can't change out the top fly off of the tag very often without having to tie in a whole new piece of tippet.

Thoughts?

raftman wrote:

This is amazing. Why hadn't I thought to try this before? This will make things so much easier...Thanks!

So I have another question regarding tippet rings (Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I felt it was more useful than starting a new one).

What's keeping me from tying off two pieces of tippet to the tippet ring - one short and and longer - to function as my dropper/point flies? I'm trying to get away from tying off of the bend of the hook and I've used the Humphrey's/Daniels method of using the short tag from a blood knot. However, I found that I can't change out the top fly off of the tag very often without having to tie in a whole new piece of tippet.

Thoughts?

There is no reason you can't do what you are thinking. Another alternative that I picked up from reading some of Galloup's stuff is to take a piece of tippet and tie a perfection loop on one end and tie your fly onto a 4"-5" tag. Then to attach to check out the image for Sliding dropper loop as it explains this better than I can.

http://gbflycasters.org/Library_articles/Kelly%20Galloup/Galloups%20nymph%20rigs.pdf

raftman wrote:

T

What's keeping me from tying off two pieces of tippet to the tippet ring - one short and and longer - to function as my dropper/point flies?

I do just that. In winter time, I pre-tie the two pieces of tippet to the ring (without tying the ring to the leader itself), and tie flies to each piece of tippet. (All this before I leave home.) I make up several such rigs, and wrap them around a piece of cardboard. That way, when I get to the stream, I only need to tie one knot with cold fingers instead of three. It also makes it a lot easier to change the dropper without having to re-tie the point if I so choose.

I do this as well. I fished a furled leader with tippet ring for the first time last season and found that I could add a dropper easily by tying directly to the ring. I had to play around a bit to find the right length & size of course to keep it from twisting in the wind, but that's to be expected.

Perfect! Thanks fellas! Really appreciate the input.

I love the idea of pre-tying these rigs before leaving, especially in the winter.

Back