tippet rings

A

AFISHN

a few months ago there was a discussion someplace on the forum about "tippet rings".i just noticed this worthwhile video on the subject and how to use them without a great deal of frustration.
Check it out:
http://www.orvis.com/news/fly-fishing/tuesday-tip-how-to-use-a-tippet-ring-and-perhaps-join-the-dark-side-2/

Why worry about trying to deal with something, just scrap them, I tried them once on a shops recommendation and hated them. I will never use them.

imo, those things are great, at least for subsurface fishing. I just started using them this year, they've probably saved me hours in knot-tying time. It's much easier to do experiments with droppers and weight when using tippet rings. And switching from streamer fishing to nymphing to wet flies is simple. I've heard that some of the rings being sold have rough inner edges that can cut line. I use the ones packaged by Angler's Image, and that hasn't been a problem for me. I didn't buy the tiniest size, I got the next size up from that. The smallest size may work better with dries, but they are so tiny that it looked like it would be a serious challenge to thread more than one piece of tippet through them. Anyway, I doubt that the size that I'm using would cause a problem when floating a dry fly under most circumstances.

I also like the tiny swivels made by Tsunami Pro when I'm using bulky streamers. No more leader twist when I pitch Shenk's Sculpins or crayfish flies. I just add 8"-18" of tippet between the swivel and the fly, and the problem is solved.

I like to swing 2 wet flys. I have found them to be just great for that.
I put a tippet ring on before my tippet. Then add my dropper to the ring.
Makes it very easy and quick to change flys and add anew dropper when needed.

GenCon

I've been using the tippet rings for about 3 years now for surface and subsurface and really like them. Simplifies changes and minimizes waste. And as mentioned,
the micro swivels work great and reduce line twist when stripping streamers.

barbless wrote:
I've heard that some of the rings being sold have rough inner edges that can cut line.

I've purchased "bulk" tippet rings off of two different sellers on ebay and both were worthless. Knots would break with very little pressure. Both sources supplied rings that were very thin and flat compared to the Anglers Image rings. Some research indicates that the rings are most likely repackaged "rig rings" used by carp fisherman which are not intended to have line attached and support any sort of load.

Watch out for any auction that seems to offer Climax tippet rings in large quantity. They are likely to give you trouble.

I use the ones packaged by Angler's Image, and that hasn't been a problem for me.

Likewise. I've used to them on heavy leader buts to attach rather heavy (10-20lb) sections of mono. No issues at all.

I've been using the tippet rings for about 3 years now for surface and subsurface and really like them.

Me too, I love them. Some people think they sink, I've never had an issue fishing dry flies on a leader with a tippet ring. I find they help to keep the leader casting very consistently because you don't eat back into the leader as you change tippets, extends the life of the leader too.

I used them a few weeks ago for the trico hatches with good success .I pre-tied my two trico flys on about 16' of 6 and 7x(3 sets of different combos/sizes etc in little plastic bags).changing rigs with a break off or to try a new combo was very easy.When the hatch was over and I wanted to nymph,it was a very easy to change

I haven't got around to using these rings yet, but if I was having issues tossing dries, I'd probably dunk the ring into some mucilin to try and give it some buoyancy. Sometimes I'll switch from dry to nymph to streamer within an hour being on the water, so either way, I'm still tying a bunch of knots in the end!

LetortAngler wrote:
I haven't got around to using these rings yet, but if I was having issues tossing dries, I'd probably dunk the ring into some mucilin to try and give it some buoyancy. Sometimes I'll switch from dry to nymph to streamer within an hour being on the water, so either way, I'm still tying a bunch of knots in the end!
I do the same but the big difference is my leader does not get any shorter when I cut off the old tippet and add new. Also no need for mucilin, I have never used any kind of floatant on the tippet ring.

I fish them, and like them.

Haven't tried them yet. Sounds interesting.

I tried them yesterday, easy to tie the leader side but found tying the tippet a bit difficult, and even more difficult on the stream. Any one have a simple knot tricks?

CRB wrote:
I tried them yesterday, easy to tie the leader side but found tying the tippet a bit difficult, and even more difficult on the stream. Any one have a simple knot tricks?
Tie the leader side and the tippet side with a simple improved clinch knot, the same knot I use to tie on the fly. Easy and fast!

That is what i used. Very adapt at tying the knot for droppers but had difficulty twisting the leader and looping it through. surgeon's knot for me is much easier and faster for me to tie on the water.

Tippet rings + Barbie doll= HOT!
I have never tried tippet rings before but I feel like a surgeons knot is faster to tie than a clinch knot.

I started using them about a month ago after experiencing trying to tie a tippet on streamside. They won me over quickly.

I have them on the end of my furled leader and I think they help extend the life of the leader. Easy to re-rig as well. No issues with them sinking.

I haven't tried them much on a mono leader but I like what was said about adding a dropper. That makes it really easy to add a second piece of line of a different length. I didn't think of that.

Same here. I buy furled leaders from Feathercraft with a tippet ring on the end. easy to tie on tippet as needed and the leader lasts forever... Haven't found a negative yet. I use a cinch knot also and can't imagine why it would be difficult.

The Davy knot is the smallest knot one can tie and it is very easy once you get the hang of it. Perfect for tying on the tippet ring and the flies.

http://www.animatedknots.com/davy/#ScrollPoint

Back