Tippet rings

wildtrout24

wildtrout24

I'm going to give these a try and was wondering.....i fish two fly rigs a lot now off of a tag end....does anyone have experience trying the tag end right from the ring?

The ring is normally placed between the body of the leader and the tippet, the tag end you would tie a fly is lower down on the leader. On a 9' tapered leader, the ring is placed about 2' from the end of the tippet. I suggest you put the ring where it normally goes and rig the flies as you usually do below the ring. You could use a second tippet ring for that junction too, but I think you would lose too many of them. They're not cheap.

I kinda like a tippet ring. I use a 7 1/2' leader, then tie the tippet ring.

I always use a couple feet of tippet...... I tie a Uni knot which keeps the line straight and perfect. When I use a tandem..... I tie a 6" piece of tippet to the ring and also use a Uni Knot. The fly stays at a perfect 90 degree angle.

I like this method much better than a tag end on a Blood Knot. It doesn't ever seem to get tangled.

a little tip:
It is difficult to grab and pull the TR when tying it to the leader, especially when cold. I tie a short piece of mono to it at the bench and then store them on a small safety pin. When needed, I slide the ring off using the mono tag. The mono tag is used to hold the ring and pull it away from the leader when tightening the knot.

I store them on a larger snap swivel in the same zinger as my nippers...and use my hemostats to hold them. When I remember to use the rings that is.

I don't see the point of tippet rings, maybe because I tie my own leaders and don't use furled mono.

blueheron wrote:
I don't see the point of tippet rings, maybe because I tie my own leaders and don't use furled mono.
I tie my own leaders too and I use tippet rings for two main reasons. 1. When I put a new piece of tippet material on my leader the leader remains the same length. 2. The tippet is fast and easy to put on. I just use a clinch knot on the ring and the same on the fly. Done.

I agree with WTT. Tippet rings will definitely preserve the life of either a tapered or hand tied leader by keeping the leader the same length by working everything off of the tippet ring. The last few seasons I have been using a furled leader. The terminal end of the furled leader is a tippet ring. My primary rod is a 9' 5 wt. I got the furled leader sized to make a 9' leader for a 5 wt outfit. The actual length of the furled leader is 6'. It is designed to add 3' of any size tippet material to make up the 9' leader. More tippet can be added if desired to make the leader even longer. I have used everything from 7x (for tricos) to 1x (for smallies) and every size of tippet in between off of the same furled leader on my 5wt and for the most part it is a very functional system and about as simple as it gets. I realize that this system isn't going to suit some guys but it has really worked well for me.

Does using a tippet ring make casting more difficult on a typical 10 or 12 foot trout leader? What size and brand of TR's do you guys use? Where do you buy them?

fwiw, I tie a perfection loop at the end of my leader and then tie my tippet and also dropper tag to the loop using clinch knots.

Tups wrote:
Does using a tippet ring make casting more difficult on a typical 10 or 12 foot trout leader? What size and brand of TR's do you guys use? Where do you buy them?

fwiw, I tie a perfection loop at the end of my leader and then tie my tippet and also dropper tag to the loop using clinch knots.
To answer question number one, No, you won't even notice the tippet ring when casting. Number two, I used to use Roman Moser's size 4's but can't find them anymore so now I use Climax rings. They are the same size as Roman's. I tie the leader to the ring with a clinch knot and then another clinch knot for the tippet. Real simple and works great.

I'm loving the tippet rings...saves tippet, reduces the amount tippet you have to bring, and saves time.
Plus you can tie up some 2 and 3 fly rigs ahead of time and then swap em out as needed with a simple cince knot to the ring...not all the rebuilding with a pretied leader with surgeon's/bloods.

If you're running a longer rig going deeper, in bigger waters/longer drifts, more weight...I'd suggest a mini swivel instead. I learned the hard way that the rings will twist up your tippet/flies

PhilC, I agree. I also use small swivels and they work very well and are ALOT cheaper. I use them mainly when fishing streamer patterns.

since my local shop doesn't carry them I had to search for them online. wflies has them. 8.00 for 20. I think I got some from an ebay store 30 of them for 4.50 from hardydeluxe.
The 2 mm is more than large enough for end to end connections. If you want to use them tie off droppers, I'd recommend the 2.5 mm.
3 mm are quite large.

I use the swivels for streamers and large heavy rigs. Can't use them for dries like you can tippet rings

I started tying my own leaders about 2 years ago and have used tippet rings a couple of times. After tying thousands of knots using leader calc I simplified things to some modified Harvey formulas. The only problem is that his lightest formulas call for 2x and 4x tippet for nymphs and dries respectively. If I wanted to use his formulas for say a 6 or 7x tippet, what would be the best way to incorporate a tippet ring without adding a ton of length to the leader? Would the leader still turn over if I simply tied in a ring and then a few feet of light tippet? It seems like it should still be tapered down accordingly...any help would be appreciated.

Not to thread jack or anything. But can you say, put a tippet ring at the end of a 9' leader for example, then add say 2 feet of tippet to your fly? Will the tippet ring cause surface drag?

Phish_On wrote:
Not to thread jack or anything. But can you say, put a tippet ring at the end of a 9' leader for example, then add say 2 feet of tippet to your fly? Will the tippet ring cause surface drag?
No. I fish tippet rings on the end of my own knotted leaders for Tricos. The leader and tippet are 12 1/2 ' to 13' in total length. IMO the leader does not drag anymore with the tippet ring than without.

Thanks wild

Phish_On wrote:

Your fly probably won't roll over as nicely because you'll be messing with transfer of energy if you do that. You could cut 2 feet off, add your tippet ring, and then add 2 of tippet. That would probably work best.

wsender wrote:
Phish_On wrote:

Your fly probably won't roll over as nicely because you'll be messing with transfer of energy if you do that. You could cut 2 feet off, add your tippet ring, and then add 2 of tippet. That would probably work best.
They turn over just fine.

I used them for the first time on Sunday. Had no problem at all with them. Don't even know they are there. My flies where turning over just fine.

Back