Tippet Ring

RIO too. I was not aware anyone was selling them not on a swivel, but like I said above, it's not like I've bought a pack in the last 5 years or more since they last for so long. Good point above about checking for nicks and sharp edges. I also use those micro swivels for streamers sometimes.

The first tippet rings I bought a LONG time ago came from Feather Craft in a Ziploc bag. Knowing all too well the shortcomings of my fat fingers, I threaded those on a safety pin...

The next batch I bought a few years later were from Angler's Image and they came on a snap so I guess if I ever need more I won't need a safety pin... ;)

Despite my fat fingers I can tie blood knots in the dark, drunk, with one eye closed and two fingers tied behind my palm with less than an inch of tag. For that reason I don't bother with tippet rings for tippet attachment on my regular trout leaders HOWEVER...

I always want one at the end of the thread furled leaders I use and they are great for transitioning between heavier & lighter lines instead of using an Albright knot.

For example (at the risk of being ostracized), I do Tenkara and other kinds of fixed line fishing where I want to transition from something around .012" to .006" or .005" or in another application from .007" to .004"

For this and other situations like this, tippet rings are ideal.

Only rig I use a tippet ring on is my euro rig. I do really like it on that. Everything else I still stick with the blood knots. My rings are stored on a safety pin.

Put a ring all 3 of our rigs this weekend and everyone agreed they make leader maintenance much easier. Mine were kept on a snap swivel on the same zingers my hemos. Must have snagged them on Spring on Sunday. Zinger is there but it no longer has the cable. So somewhere on Spring is a set of hemos and some tippet rings. If you find them, you should try them.

The tippet rings I've always bought already come on a snap swivel thing. Leave them on there while you tie to leader.
I bought mine in a package of 50 loose in a small envelope. Lot's cheaper for each, but takes a different approach to handling.

You won't live long enough to use fifty. :)
This is so true. Even when I change a leader that has one on, I thread the tippet ring back onto the snap swivel and keep it for use again later and then cut the leader from both ends of it. Voila. Good as new.

The biggest ways I go through stuff is by giving it away to people and trying to help others. I am currently trying to show my brother-in-law how to fly fish....I am going through more leaders for him in a day than I would use in a year. He has gotten some tangles so bad that I just srap the whole thing and go back to the beginning.

You can also use "jump rings" that are used in jewelery. Less money than the fly shop rings. However I do use the Anglers Image rings.

Jump rings appear to be split. At least all the pics on the interwebs. One of the biggest complaints about tippet rings is done aren't perfectly smooth and tend to cut your line.

Jump rings appear to be split. At least all the pics on the interwebs. One of the biggest complaints about tippet rings is done aren't perfectly smooth and tend to cut your line.
You can find some that are soldered shut, but they are also made out of soft metal.

I briefly experimented with "jump rings." Suffice it to say that they are not nearly as strong as rings sold as "tippet rings." The soldered rings are probably strong enough to fool most people, but just barely.

There were also some crappy Chinese tippet rings floating around on the web. Those cut line like crazy and I suspect a fair number of retailers purchased them without ever actually trying them before re-selling. Close inspection showed them to be more like small flat washers punched from a sheet than actual rings.

I've had good luck with rings sold by Partridge, Rio, and Anglers Image. No trouble with tying knots on those brands. I'm sure there are others a

Did anyone mention the size tippet ring they prefer?

Since the first bags I bought almost two decades ago, I always use the 1.5 mm size or small if they are peddled in sizes.

I've even gone as far as replacing larger tippet rings that came on furled leaders I purchased.

I use these rings and I do like them.

As for the comment that 50 will last the rest of your life.....I can assure you that if you open that tiny little "ring holder" while stream side, those little rings simply vanish into the unknown.

Ask me how I know that.........

Back